TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Driveline Angles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driveline Angles
    Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 9:15pm
Took some measurements of the transmission to driveshaft and driveshaft to pinion angles on my '69 AMX. Driveshaft was at zero degrees.

Starting at the rear of the car the pinion is 2.9 degrees up relative to the driveshaft. The transmission is 3 degrees up relative to the driveshaft. From what I've read they need to be parallel, looks like these are within 0.1 degrees. The AMC tech manual says 1 1/2 to 3 1/4 degrees is acceptable with 2 1/4 degrees preferred.

Do these look typical?

Thanks,
-Steve-

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 10:08pm
Already quite an extensive post on this subject:
With various opinions including mine.
Have a read, but I think you must have a new transmission mount installed with the angle your referencing. Newer mounts are not necessarily the same dimensions as factory originals.

Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 6:13am
Found this video explaining driveline vibration and why transmission and pinion angles need to be parallel.

-Steve-

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Took some measurements of the transmission to driveshaft and driveshaft to pinion angles on my '69 AMX. Driveshaft was at zero degrees.

Starting at the rear of the car the pinion is 2.9 degrees up relative to the driveshaft. The transmission is 3 degrees up relative to the driveshaft. From what I've read they need to be parallel, looks like these are within 0.1 degrees. The AMC tech manual says 1 1/2 to 3 1/4 degrees is acceptable with 2 1/4 degrees preferred.

Do these look typical?

Thanks,
-Steve-

Actually that's perfect but due to spring wrap up you might want to shim the rear down a degree to be about  1.5° - 2° range. That's how mine is setup and I have no vibration.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic