TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Flywheel question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GremlinP38 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GremlinP38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flywheel question
    Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 8:39am
No question I have the wrong flywheel. At this point I just would like a ‘72 up 360 that I could drive on, even though I know the balance wouldn’t be perfect. The 390 destined for it has the correct flywheel and will be balance during rebuild, but I’m probably two years out on that engine. I just want to drive the car after 21 years of ownership.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GremlinP38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 8:33am
very clearly a ‘72 up engine, just in all these years I’ve never messed with switching flywheels around. I knew there were differences, just usually whatever I was doing projectwise kept the same flywheel. I found this page with a ton of information built around something Eddie Stakes wrote. I’m a bit skeptical about a little of the info because of the 304 pictures with counterweights and Eddie Stakes says 304 didn’t have counterweights. http://rebsamcandjeep.proboards.com/thread/585/amc-290-401-flywheels-flexplates?page=1 Build date on my 360 seems to be August 17 1971 making it a real early ‘72. I was told when I got it that it came from a Matador wagon. The only time I’ve done an automatic to sick swap was about 30 years ago in a ‘71 Gremlin where the crap six cylinder automatic died and I had stick parts readily available. Pretty lucky looking back considering it was a ‘71 six cylinder, but back then you could scare up parts.
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 8:09am
if you have a stepped crank flange then your engine is a 72 or later engine. Much easier to find a correct flywheel for. 70-71 where flat flange less common. Send me a text msg and I can forward pictures of different flywheels stored on my computer. 
Mike
319-389-5996

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GremlinP38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 6:03am
Eddie Stakes says 304 did not have a counterweight. A very detailed page I found says 304 and 360 shared a flywheel with counterweight from 72 to 78. I had a 72 Gremlin 304 that was incredibly smooth that I pulled for a 401. When I took the flywheel off the 304 it had a counterweight, but it also had a bolt welded on it. I’m guessing hillbilly balancing? Main point is I’m wondering who is right and does 72 to 78 304 and 360 use the same flywheel (outside of the individual engine balancing)?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GremlinP38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 5:54am
Ok, that answers some of it. I have a stepped crank 360 and the flywheel on it right now does not center on the step. Didn’t feel right but a friend of mine assured me that it was fine. The current flywheel has no counterweight and from what I can tell from info I found from Eddie Stakes and one other source it’s probably a 290 or 343 flywheel. Obviously the flywheel this guy has can’t be a 70 to 74 360 if there is a diameter difference in the end of the crankshaft size. Not sure of the year of my 360. It was a freebie from my grandfathers brother. They had it in a Matador that they wrapped around a tree and it ran well enough that they kept the engine, but never ended up with something to use it in. I’ve never cared enough to decode the tag. I’m curious now. It does run well.
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 11:04pm
the flywheel crankshaft recess measurement on a pre 1972 engine is 4.50", a 72 on up crankshaft recess flange diameter is 4.65, so the matting surfaces are different diameters, in theory you could bolt a late flywheel to an early crank but it won't fit tightly and you are relying on the bolts alone to keep it attached. not good. I don't think its possible to bolt up a pre 72 flywheel to the larger diameter crankshaft flange. so what year is your 360? is it a stepped or flat flange on the end of the crank?

1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 10:58pm
If I remember correctly a early crankshaft is 4". A later flywheel is slightly larger like 4 1/8 maybe. A early flywheel on a late crank is very dangerous it cant set flat on the crankshaft. a late flywheel on a early crank has nothing to center it except the bolts.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GremlinP38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 10:36pm
The guy with the flywheel is interested in trading possibly for my flywheel. I have suspicion it is a 290 or 343 flywheel. Engine has not been rebuilt. I know or at least I remember now that ‘72 up centers on the step , but can you get away with the older flywheel like I have currently on there that stops short of the step and centers on the crank. 
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 10:15pm
Is your 360 a virgin engine, never been rebuilt? If it has been rebuilt you likely will need to have the flywheel balanced to the engine. If stock and the correct 360 flywheel is used you may be ok without vibration issue.  
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 10:12pm
So that is the number of the flywheel you currently have? I might be interested in it if will work for one of my engines.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic