TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

clutch suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch suggestions
    Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 1:23pm
I have a 70 amx 390 slightly built. I do believe after 15 years I will be needing a new clutch and pressure plate and of course a throw out bearing. I have been running the dual friction Center force, any suggestions on other brands that night be better. I seem to be having problems when things when it gets warmed up sort to speak with engaging and disengaging the tranny.
Any ideas would be great.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 3:26pm
I have enjoyed the RAM 88499HDX set. B+B style, I recall around 2800 pounds, so stiff but not ridiculous. About $350 and available online easily. One thing to be aware of is that they give the larger throwout bearing for a 69 and earlier car in the kit. Either get the larger throwout bearing retainer or I can find you the number for the smaller TO bearing for a 70 when I get home. 

Chris
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2019 at 3:36pm
I bought the cheapie kit from OReilly or Autozone and never could get it to work right.  The throw-out bearing arm would bottom out on the bellhousing before the clutch would fully release.  Worked  good when cold, but once it warmed up it would work ok in fwd gears but a little crunchy in reverse.  Went with the RAM 88499HDX  and all worked well.  

Good luck
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2019 at 5:50pm
check all the linkage to see if it needs to be rebuilt or replaced also.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic