TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'74 AMX "Steve," the re-build begins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 12:08pm
Yeah, I read his entire thread a while back. Awesome work. I'm probably somewhere in the middle of the spectrum and I don't think mine is that far gone. Haven't welded since high school (over 40 years ago) and I've got a buddy that's certified welder that going to QA my work. If it's major, he's stepping in. I'm a former military aircraft electrician, so I think I've got that taken care of. Build sheet is no where to be found. Good thing is the stainless trim is darn near all accounted for and in good shape. 
3250man View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 12:03am
Found this when I was taking the interior apart. Inside the glovebox door. Made me sit back and think about the crazy stuff that happened in my prior AMX.  Gonna' keep it for nostalgia.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 7:23am
Looks like you and "Steve" are in for an adventure.......Wink

I have started with worse looking projects. Looking forward to your project and progress. You will be a picture taking and posting expert in a couple of weeks. Do all you can yourself, you will enjoy the ride better when you're done. 

Remember, the whole deal is to have "AMC FUN" !!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
3250man View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 11:44am
Thanks Ollie.

By the way: I also found a small mini-wallet pic of (possibly) the young lady, who's name is written on the glovebox door. It was under the console. 

Also gathered a total of 87 cents - start of the body work fund  .  .  .

3250man View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2019 at 5:21pm
I don't' think some gas n new plugs will bring this back to life.

Got a little cancer and rust to deal with. Found a panel on Ebay, not sure the price where it should be.

Front end is off. Couldn't get the bumper unbolted, so I had take off the supports.
3250man View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2019 at 8:05pm
Driver's floor pan (white stuff is the baking soda), looks solid, but   .  .  .?

Passenger floor pan, will replace.

Rear passenger - yup, new floor pan!

Driver's rear passenger, well; maybe a new floor pan.

401 to the machine shop this weekend, current 360 and tranny coming out next weekend.

3250man View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2019 at 10:11am
A little bit of progress on Steve. I've been sidelined with the summer cold/flu that's going around here. Nasty stuff. I was able to order parts and have them headed my way.
Pulled the engine/tranny this weekend. By the way, for those that haven't pulled a '74 Javelin engine with the transmission attached: When the TSM says to plug the transmission speedometer cable hole before removing the transmission - please do so! I drained the transmission fluid, but forgot about plugging the hole. Luckily, I put drip pans under the car and caught most of it. Would have made a heck of a mess otherwise. 

I was debating Prothane or Moog rubber front suspension parts - decided on Moog. Yeah, I know it's not as tight as poly and supposedly doesn't last as long, but I ain't no spring chicken and hope to last as long as the Moog parts Smile 
Onward  .  .  .

EDIT: Transmission guy said I am to refer to it as "a transmission or an A727" - not a tranny. Whatever!

Edited by 3250man - Sep/09/2019 at 12:57pm
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 2:27pm
Hi,
You have a nice car, just need love.Smile
I´ve a 1973 AMX in Spain. The forum is a real good help for me. I´ll be happy to help back if I can. 
Pleasse keep on post photos of your progress
bye

1973 JAVELIN AMX 360 AUTO
1973 DODGE 3700 GT (built in Spain)
SPAIN (EUROPE)
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by 3250man 3250man wrote:

By the way: I also found a small mini-wallet pic of (possibly) the young lady, who's name is written on the glovebox door. It was under the console. 

Also gathered a total of 87 cents - start of the body work fund  .  .  .

Carchaeology rules.
3250man View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2019 at 11:20pm
Steve update:

Got the interior panels including inner/outer rockers.

This is what the driver's brake assembly looks like. Tried to get the caliper off, but it's stuck solid. Got some work to do.

Same side spring and shock. I'll try and clean up the spring - or replace it. New shocks for sure.

So I took the driver's front aft fenderwell plastic shield off and it looks like a mouse/rat nest inside. Surprisingly, the shield is intact. Didn't take off the one farther aft of it. 

A727 transmission is back from the tech. He did an awesome job. Couldn't get the valve body to work right, so he had to change it, total rebuild of the (stuff) inside and it also needed a new torque converter. Nothing fancy.
Before:

After:

Working with Steve of Kennedy American for all the brake parts and I've touched base with javjav about part(s) for the power brake conversion. I got a power brake booster support bracket from Eddie Stakes, but I need many more brake parts - starting with the correct(?) power brake pedal. All new brake lines will be on order next month. 

Plan is to work my way from the front of the car to the back. Working my space and priorities. I've also got all the front suspension parts, Moog - yup rubber not poly.

Oh, also going to learn to weld (again). Last time was in high school (70's). Co-worker is a nuclear qualified welding Instructor and is charging me by the 6-pack :-} 

Onward  .  .  .

Jim

Edited by 3250man - Nov/27/2019 at 12:41am
1974 Mellow Yellow N-code AMX (restoring)- "Steve"
2016 Chevy Colorado (RIPP supercharged V6)
1973 Corvette
1974 Trans AM Red P-code AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic