TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Replace or repair quarter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replace or repair quarter?
    Posted: Aug/11/2019 at 6:54pm
when I traveled to get my ‘rust free’ 70 AMX, I saw it had quarters put on it. What I didn’t realize until stripping the car is that they were put on pretty poorly. I’m hoping you can zoom in on the pic. 
  Just below the tape is a groove that was ground in the quarter. He actual seam is a couple of inches below the tape. The inner section next to the trunk pan was also replaced. 
  The shape of the wheel opening is off, and the bottom of the quarter isn’t flat. The rear panel under the bumper hasn’t been fit (the holes were filled with bondo). 
  So, at what point do I decide to get new panels and start over?
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2019 at 7:42pm
I’d redo that, no reason to put a decent paint job over that sort of repair.  The lowers rear patches are about $200 I think and it is a pretty straight forward job if you have a mig welder.  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2019 at 8:48pm
It looks like a panel that had collision damage and a rust repair.

And maybe a home made patch,  that didn't go nearly high enough.
I've got nothing against home made patch panels,  I do a lot myself.
But I've got a Mig, Tig, English wheel, plandishing hammer , beading tool, shrinker/stretcher, etc., 30 or so body hammers and dollies, and 45 years of using them.

Maybe also welded,  probably with a mig,  but in too big a rush.

You can get serious warping, even with a mig,  if you don't use a sensible welding plan,  and pause ever few welds and let the panel cool. 

It'd probably be better with another panel welded on,   I'll bet behind that welding around the wheelwell edge there's a bird's nest of welding wire .
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2019 at 12:02am
if you can get a good repair panel then I would replace as much as possible it save time on body work and make for a much longer lasting repair for no rust issues
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2019 at 6:44pm
Use the lower patch repair panels. They work and I've not scene a good use full quarter panel in about 10 years. LRDaum

LRDaum
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 2:31am
I would must likely replace the lower area with the replacement panels available from the AMC vendors. This would allow you to clean up or remove any other imperfections or rust ( at the pinch welds). Taking a chance on possible bad, poor or incomplete prior welds would also be eliminated.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 8:06am
Patch panel from the AMC vendors
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 9:46am
Here is what my "rust free" AMX looked like when I picked it up.  I feel your pain.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 9:51am
Is there just one manufacturer of patch panels, or does someone have better panels? I see that Kennedy and APD both have similar prices and descriptions, so I'm guessing they are selling the same panel.

I'm assuming that I want to avoid the 'economy grade' ebay patch panels.

Thanks for confirming my gut feel, do this stuff right.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 7:53am
The 3 main AMC vendors all sell the same panel- I believe that they share tooling costs up front and then sell the part at the same price. They do this with most, or all, of the reproduction parts. Avoid the Ebay and generic panels that some guy is hammering out on his picnic table.

Edit: you now have to modify your signature
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic