TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Correct Power steering Pulley?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perrybones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct Power steering Pulley?
    Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 7:27pm
A few years back I fully restored my 73 AMX, front accessory pulleys were a PITA!
The power steering pulley gave me the most trouble.

Info: 73 AMX with a  70 360 motor. AC, PS, no air pump. Belt should be a Gates 9640 or 9630 (64" or 63" .47 width, 36 degree pitch) Everything from the 73 motor was moved to the 70 motor. Took some doing but finally got all the pulleys to line up properly.

The original power steering pulley did not have the right offset and was impossible to line up. I finally found a pulley with the right offset, but the groove is too small for the 9640 belt. I used a .41 width belt and it works fine with the AC off of course, but can be screechy with the AC on.

The pulley is a 5.5" diameter with a 1/2" offset toward the pump.

THE Question: Does anyone know where to get the right pulley, with the 1/2" offset and Larger groove to fit the fatter belt?

Perry 70 Javelin SST 390, 69 AMX 343, 73 AMX 360, 67 Rebel SST Conv and 92 Corvette Conv. (modern muscle to keep wife happy).
mark09 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 10:04pm
Did you use the 73 wp or 70.  73 should have a longer / taller pump. 
If 70 pump and 73 accessories you'll have alignment problems. 
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 11:19pm
This is off my 73 Javelin.  Saginaw style pump/reservoir.  The second groove on the power steering pump pulley is for my air conditioning that is not hooked up.

LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Perrybones View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perrybones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 5:06am
At the time, I had both water pumps so I used the one that lined up with the crank pulleys off course, not sure which one that is.

Lakeside, your picture points out the double pulley that was meant for the air pump I believe. If you have AC without the air pump, like mine, it is only a single pulley with the offset that puts the larger pulley toward the pump in the same location as your larger pulley. That fatter pulley like you have is what I need, only just the engine side single type.

The AC belt resides on the front part of the damper pullley driving the AC and the PS pumps.
Perry 70 Javelin SST 390, 69 AMX 343, 73 AMX 360, 67 Rebel SST Conv and 92 Corvette Conv. (modern muscle to keep wife happy).
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 5:07am
Second groove for a/c ? Normally that second groove is for the emissions air pump, not the a/c compressor.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 9:11am
Okay,, I don't have the outer hooked up at this time, nor my a/c.  But this is my factory pulley on my 73.  Thought the pic would help.  Pulley is part number 3216621.

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Jul/12/2019 at 10:00am
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic