TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What 5 spd for AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2019 at 7:45pm
The torque ratings are:

T5Z: 330 ft-lb
TKO-500: 500 ft-lb
TKO-600: 600 ft-lb

The difference in the 500 and 600 is the low gear ratio. The 500 has 3.27:1 and the 600 has 2.87:1.

The T5Z has 2.95:1 as scott mentioned which is part of the reason it's stronger than the standard Ford version WC T5 with 3.35:1 first.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2019 at 6:44pm
great info guys, much appreciated. Thanks for the component / price breakdown Scott. That’s helpful. As much as i want / need a lower first gear I’m thinking anything over a 3:1 might be a bit too low (I have a 3.73 rear). It does sound like the T5 variation would be the best route to go from a cost perspective. Scott you used $2k for a new transmission-where would you get one? I assume the other components were sourced used? I have a fairly new Centerforce clutch in the car now so could probably just replace the disc. This is something to be considering for this winter - if I keep the car. Been thinking of moving it along to get something a little easier to drive. 
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 5:18pm
I got my new T5 Z from Summit. At the time they matched the best price I could find, & shipped it for free. Summit currently lists two T5 Z, one thru Ford Motorsports, the other American Drivetrain. From what I see, they are the same transmission, but the American Drivetrain is $100 less. Summit currently has a $100 off deal if you buy online & spend $1200 or more.

I sourced a used bellhousing. The trans mount & yoke I got new.
BADJAV390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BADJAV390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 5:57pm
I am going to run an LGT SS700 on my 69 javelin
1968 AMX 390/4spd
1969 Jav 600 HP Alfano 390 Protouring
1970 Javelin SST 390/4spd
next..71 amx 401/4spd, 70 AMX 390 4spd, 69 sc/rambler, 69 AMX BBO 390 4spd
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 6:51am
LGT 700 looks like 700 ft/lbs torque. Wide ratio version has a 2.97 first gear, so it should be workable.

The only site I found mentioning a price said "$3500-5000". That's a big range! I suspect the $5K is for a full kit with clutch and bell housing, $3500 trans only.

Here's a good break-down of available five speeds, and where I got the pricing on the LGT 700. It's dated April 2016 though...

Frank Swygert
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 7:16am
TKO 600 from silver sport.  Expensive but turnkey.  Hydraulic clutch and throw out bearing.  I changed out the master that they sent (3/4" bore) with a 5/8" bore to lighten the clutch feel as well as give it a little more feathering.  Everything lined up and no modification to the shifter location to speak of or the cross member or driveshaft. 
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 3:46pm
This is one of those how high is high questions:

Steel flywheel?
Scattersheild?
Matching blockplate?
What clutch?
What clutch linkage?
High rpm shifting upgrade?
What input shaft?
What yolk?
Upgraded driveshaft?
What shift lever?

Just cruising most of this stuff can be basic or use stock.

I went with a proper scattershield and matching blockplate, steel flywheel, Liberty shifting upgrade, Mcleod "Street Extreme" 10.95" clutch, short Ford input, 1330 yolk, then went to a complete new 3" driveshaft with a 1350 billet rear axle yoke, and a short shift lever. But this car has decent power on goes to the track on occasion.

No wonder there can be a range in price.
firefly View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2019 at 11:26am
Fanatical Performance in Wausau Wi. Sells t5's. That's all he does and can build one that handles more torque. 
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2019 at 11:58am
I have the T5 with the G-Force case and other upgrades. I have had it for several years and I autocross a few times each year in addition to driving like a hooligan way too often.
There may be other options available now that were not out there when I purchased this, but I'm happy with it and it's not failed. It's sits between my mild 401 and the Moser 9, so truth be told this is the weak link in my drive-line, and it's working so far Beer

If this does fail, I'll probably go with the legend gear LGT-700. had that been available when I upgraded I may have gone that direction. If I recall the LGT-700 is a bit pricey, but my G-Force stuff wasn't cheap either.

The T5 transmissions are compact and fit easily into these old cars which is a major positive.

The G-Force Case and internals are stout pieces.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jul/19/2019 at 12:23pm
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2019 at 5:54pm
343sharpstick, What did you use for a clutch??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic