TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What 5 spd for AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What 5 spd for AMX
    Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 6:17pm
I am curious what all has been done to replace the T10 with a 5 speed of some type. Had some discussion awhile back about using a T5 but have you used anything else? Are there any that will bolt up to an OEM bell housing? Any that the AMC clutch can be used with? I got looking at a Tremec but while the transmission is somewhat reasonable (relatively) I would have to replace everything between the flywheel and rear end - for a lot of money. 
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 6:26pm
I'm just gonna follow this one, see what options come up.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 7:05pm
I have a Legend Gear SS700 in my Rambler.  It uses the stock flywheel and pressure plate.  You do need a 26 spline pressure plate (GM).  It requires a QuickTime bellhousing and uses a GM throwout arm and throwout bearing, but the rest of the AMC clutch linkage still works.  The shifter position is the same side/side and about 1" more to the rear than the T-10.  I was able to adjust the shifter cover enough to make things work.  I did have to modify the Rambler crossmember quite a bit, but a AMX/Jav crossmember might work.  The nice thing about it is it's tall and narrow, so it fits in the factory trans tunnel with no mods.

I've heard a Ford T-5 will fit using a Jeep shallow bellhousing and some mods to the throwout bearing retainer.  You would have to modify at least the shifter position, and possibly widen the trans tunnel to tit the very boxy trans.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 10:36pm
Tremec TKO here. Jeep bell and throw-out bearing. 25 $ mod to the stock X-member.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 5:36am
Handy to know the TKO goes in with Jeep parts, that would make things significantly cheaper.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 7:36am
I have a Ford style TKO with the shallow Jeep bellhousing in the Rambler. Actually a very ancient Lakewood version that was made for a few years for the jeep guys. The stock clutch linkage fit with some minor mods. Using a larger 10.95" (11" on a 10.5 pattern) clutch which was a very tight fit, but it did fit.
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 8:42am
Yeah that's My TKO as well, the Ford style. If I were to do it over I would get the road race gears with the .87 5th and a 2:87 rear.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 8:59am
My AMX has a Doug Nash 5 speed. I modified a Lakewood bell housing and the stock trans cross member to make it work. Not that big of a deal!   
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 11:43am
Tremec makes the T5, TKO and T56.  I've got a GM LS-style T56 Magnum close ratio (2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, 0.80, 0.63) in my '74 Javelin AMX.  Better ratios than some other options.  Swapped from an automatic so used a custom order Quicktime bell for T56 Magnum to AMC w/ hydraulic CSC ... but bell is stupid expensive now since Mr.Gasket group bought them.  Needed a hole in tunnel, some hammer work, console modification, 26 spline clutch disc, pedal mods for clutch master, C6-style yoke, wiring for backup lights and reverse lockout, crossmember mods.  Not that bad to do, but not cheap.   Search site for "6 speed manual transmissions" for post ... sorry, photos gone as deleted my Photobucket account.
NeedafasterAMX fit a T56 w/ stock short bell, adapter plate, stock clutch parts except disc.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 8:01pm
When I was looking into this, I don't think any of the T5 boxes is rated to take a lot of torque, which may not be an issue depending on your application and driving style.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic