TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 Rambler Classic 660 torque Tube bushing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 Rambler Classic 660 torque Tube bushing
    Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 3:21pm
Hi everyone,

I have had a leaking trans where the TT meets the transmission housing. Suspected it was the rear seal and have the TT out to replace but found the thick rubber bushing attached to the flange is disintegrated. Any idea where to fins a replacement if I can get it off of the flange plate. It seems like it is part of the plate. Any and all suggestions are great.

Thanks,

Wes 
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 8:08pm
they are available thru Galvin's or Blasers.  The official name is "trunnion" for the transmission to torque tube. A little pricy around $250.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
westree View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2019 at 9:03pm
Yikes! Thanks for the info. I'll begin my search.

Wes
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 6:37am
If you can find some high density rubber matting you can make one. Clean the old rubber out and RTV in place. Must be high density! If it's not hard enough it won't do much and will quickly wear out. The only thing I can think of at the moment is the pads used in horse barns that the horses walk on. They are about an inch thick. Probably need 1-1/2 to 2 inches for the trunnion pad.

Found some on the Grainger site that should work. 70A durometer Buna-N (abrasion and oil resistant). Commercial grade 1"x12"x12" piece is $38.62, a high grade piece the same size is $69.01. I'd go with the high grade. You should be able to get four pieces out of a 12" square, so could double it for 2" thick. IIRC the cushion is no more than 6" square, but measure! You might need to get a 2' long piece...
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 8:52am
I notice when I park mine down hill some differential oil comes out at the transmission to T/T joint. Probably it is not doing that rubber block any good. Once a year I check the differential oil level and put a little in to top it off. If I ever find the time to change out the 196 bell housing to that of the 232 for the engine that is in the car now then I'll look into that leak.
westree View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 3:36pm
Thanks Farna. 

For removing the old one it seems almost like it is part of the plate. Should I just be cutting It out from the plate and cleaning it up the best I can? 

Thanks,

Wes
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 6:35am
Yes. It's vulcanized to the plate. It's tough, but a wood chisel (one you don't mind sharpening again, or maybe destroying.... a cheap set from Harbor Freight?) will work. Or just take a piece of 1" bar stock and sharpen the end. RTV the rubber in place.

One note, I'm not sure a 70A durometer hardness is correct, that's just the hardest you can get. The durometer scale for rubber goes up to 90, but I have no reference to just how hard that is or what the cushion should be. I found this chart, which shows some comparative common items:
A 50A or 60A would probably be better, as it looks like 70A is about like a tire tread... might be a bit hard.

I notice I forgot to put in the Grainger link!
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 6:38am
vinny, trans fluid/oil and differential oil will eventually soften and destroy the cushion in the TT. You have to take the TT off to change the seal in the rear axle of course. I'd put a trans seal in while it's off. The tubber is oil resistant, but time takes its toll on everything...
Frank Swygert
SensibleSpectaculars View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 6:51pm
How tough is it to change the trans seal back there? Does the tailshaft have to come off?
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 9:58pm
From what I remember, with the differential away from it the seal is not hard to change. They make a special tool to pop the old one out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic