TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 strut rod nut

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greendragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 strut rod nut
    Posted: Jul/08/2019 at 7:11pm
anyone know the size of the 69 amx/javelin strut rod nut?...

Edited by greendragon - Jul/09/2019 at 3:33pm
moneypit
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2019 at 7:37pm
yes. Two nuts and forward end of strut rod 11/16"
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
greendragon View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greendragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2019 at 8:13pm
do you know if that's a 18 thread? ..

Edited by greendragon - Jul/09/2019 at 3:34pm
moneypit
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2019 at 8:41pm
The threads look like 18 thread . 90% sure. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2019 at 9:10pm
You can't use torch and patience and get them off? I've taken off rusted nuts that had been stuck in place for over half a century - or longer - before. Patience is the best tool, heat, and working things back and forth. detect any movement at all - take it back, keep going back and forth. 
My son's Eagle had the worst I'd ever taken off - and I got them off (and then restored the nuts, too)
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2019 at 9:49pm
The nuts are 11/16x18, the same size and pitch as used on late 60’s Ford compact and midsize cars. So if it turns out you need new nuts, look for strut rod nuts for a 1968 Mustang.

However, if the rust is so bad you need to cut off the nuts, it is also possible your strut rod is junk. There will be no threads left to clean up with a die. 
I haven’t had problems removing strut rod nuts yet, and I work on cars that were driven all year around in Ohio
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greendragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2019 at 10:02pm

Edited by greendragon - Jul/09/2019 at 3:35pm
moneypit
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greendragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2019 at 10:05pm

Edited by greendragon - Jul/09/2019 at 3:35pm
moneypit
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2019 at 11:14pm
If you turn down the strut rod, then the bushing sleeve would be too large. You would then need to make a custom sleeve. I’m pretty sure the original threads are more than 1/32” deep so you would have to go smaller than 5/8”.
There are reports of people breaking strut rods at the stock diameter, turning them down smaller sounds like a bad idea to me.

You are overthinking this. As long as there are still some threads, the nuts should come off with some heat. I’m pretty sure you would need to apply over a thousand foot pounds of torque before you need to worry about twisting.

Edited by akimmet - Jul/08/2019 at 11:48pm
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2019 at 7:56am
soak it soak  it soak it it on blaster or the the one from Heid products 
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic