TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Jeep Safari-Kar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2019 at 9:05am
This must be the Jeep you want to put my 258 in? (The one I have for sale on Facebook.)

It's pretty cool!!!!!!!

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Jul/16/2019 at 9:07am
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2019 at 4:27pm
I checked the Dana 44 and it has a tag on it that says limited slip and another tag that says 41-11 3.73 gear . It was low on ATF so i put a quart in that brought it up to the add mark. I took it down the road and tested it and it seems like it has 1st gear and 2nd gear but doesn't upshift into drive. It gets up to about 60 in a hurry but by then it's winding up the 232 pretty good. But maybe it IS in 3rd i'm not certain. Should it go faster than 60 with the 232? I'll try adding some more ATF and see if i can't get it to upshift into 3rd.
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2019 at 11:37am
I pretty much figured it out. The shift quadrants need some slight adjustment, and the detents might be a little worn on either the shifter or trans as it is too easy to move the shifter past the quadrant if you are trying to run it through the quadrants. Right now it actually has to be close to neutral on the lever to actually hit drive. I believe it usually starts out driving in second during normal acceleration in drive. While in second if i move the lever to 1st it does go down a gear if going slow enough. During normal driving acceleration is good and it gets up to 60 pretty easy. It has 235/75/15 tires on it with a tire diameter of 28.9. I believe the 3.73 rear gear is responsible for the higher RPM's at 60 MPH. That, along with the tire height is why you really don't want to go past 60MPH. There is no sound insulation in the cab or engine compartment so engine noise transfers right back to the cab. It's pretty noisy at 60 MPH, but it handles well on gravel or highway. I'm thinking of possible sound insulation, bigger diameter tires and/or gear ratio change to the 3.55 ratio area to get the RPM's down to 2200 at 60 MPH . Any comments?
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
nolanfla View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nolanfla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 12:47pm
Hello
I have a 1978 Safari-Kar
If you like to talk email me ibookhp@gmail.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic