TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Jeep Safari-Kar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep Safari-Kar
    Posted: Jul/05/2019 at 10:00am
I recently picked up a Jeep DJ5 former postal vehicle called the Safari-Kar and am trying to decipher some of it's mysteries. I know it was altered somewhere between 1992 and 1995 when the Safari-Kar company re-manufactured old surplus postal jeeps. It is still 2WD. It has a soft top and rear seat, and high back buckets. It is left hand steer. The back of the body was altered to have no tailgate, but does have a fixed spare mount on back. It is supposed to be a 1970 Model Jeep that was converted. It has an automatic on the floor. It is SUPPOSED to have a 258 engine according to the tag. It seems to have a lot of gumption in that respect, very peppy. Although the engine has an E on the block number which i take it is a 232. The transmission appears to be a later bell (v8) style M11 Borg Warner 3 speed automatic. I haven't brought it home yet, as i'll be picking it up shortly. I'm a little confused about the engine/ trans combo as it looks all original and kosher and it's a pretty low mileage vehicle. How would an M11 mate up to a 232 if its the big V8 bell housing? How could it be a 258 with an E in the block number? It has a shortened tailshaft on the trans. Can that tailshaft section be transferred to an M11B, or M12 for more strength.?
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2019 at 11:18am
pics of the Safari-kar please.
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2019 at 5:21pm
Soon as i get it home this week.
Budwisr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budwisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2019 at 5:37pm
This site has a brochure posted. http://www.ewillys.com/tag/safari-kar/

1970 AMX 1980 AMX
<br
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2019 at 10:17am
Turns out the information is incorrect that i was given on the Safari Kar. It definitely has a 232 engine with the small bell BW35 T43 model aluminum transmission. It runs great and goes pretty peppy, mostly because i can not detect it shifting gears. 60MPH is winding out pretty good, but i would say i'm probably in low 2. I'm assuming the linkage hasn't been adjusted correctly or the vacuum modulator isn't set right. I did obtain a couple of service manuals. The Engine code says its a 1971 232. The Safari Ker re-manufacture tag says 1971. But the Title says 1970 even though the VIN matches the Safari Kar VIN tag. I do know that the postal Jeeps went from Kaiser to AM General in 1971 so it is appropriate the year of the Jeep should be 1971. It seemed to handle well, but people tell me they can be squirrels going down the road. It has a straight axle 2wd front end. I would like to know if i can do any popular mods to this as i would like to use it as a summer driver. I have a line on a 258 engine, and i have a nice 290/BW-35 M-11 setup also. Anything can be done with the steering to make it work better? It works pretty well now but down the line it might be sloppy.   Can the short tail shaft from this trans be transplanted to a bigger stouter Borg Warner 3 speed like the M11/M11B? And where does a person find a tail light like the one on this Jeep if you need a replacement lens?

Edited by typhooner - Jul/14/2019 at 10:36am
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2019 at 12:52pm
steers well you say, but might not in the future? Lol. The geometry looks good, even springs look ok. Some inexpensive fresh bushings and then alignment with eye toward higher castor settings, more toe in, along the guidelines of the “preferred” settings. Maybe a degree higher than that on castor. Steering effort will rise but so will stability. This is done with steel shims at the axle. That and good shocks will make it safer. Other things WILL be - sticky ball joints, binding or worn steering damper. Do not underestimate these as dangerous Jeep makers. It’s likely 88 inch wheelbase an all... there is more that could be done, but that’s a start. 
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2019 at 12:54pm
does it have a limited slip rear Dana 44 axle? That’d be cool. 
Also that Driveshaft is begging for a proper rebuild, given the joint type. 
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2019 at 9:35pm
It is a Dana 44, and as a matter of fact the front axle is a Dana 44 straight axle with kingpin type spindles. Where can you find that universal joint at the back of the trans? I'm not familiar with that type. I'm guessing it's needed because of the short driveshaft.

Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2019 at 9:05pm
The rear joint appears to be a tri lobe type cv joint. Nothing really wrong with it. Spicer did actually make some of these parts, but don’t hold me to it. Likely it is suited for the job. Im sure it needs maintenance and that may include complete disassemble and clean, new seals or boots and packing with a top quality moly grease meant for CV joints. Swepco brand #101 is top tier. Probably a better set up than a cj5. Cool on the Dana 44. 
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2019 at 9:08pm
when I said good shocks, I meant bilstein. Shoot for a stock Jeep application (yellow body) as it will be valved specifically. There are others, but ... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic