TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rambler 64 manual transmission.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2019 at 5:19pm
That transmission you show is obviously far better than what the car originally came out with. In fact the original was the weakest link in the car to get the wheels to turn.
muzikant23 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muzikant23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2019 at 3:25pm
Yes. This is a good five sped transmission, but not AMC((

Not all of you understand why I want original auto parts. 
In Russia my Rambler 64 is the only one (as far as I know). 
Is very rare car for Russia. 
And in the US it's just an old car? Or does it have any value??

PS: By the way -  brake drums, brake cylinders and other mounted parts of the rear axle - AMC mark

Edited by muzikant23 - Jul/07/2019 at 3:49pm
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2019 at 3:57pm
You're on a AMC forum,  so of course the car has value to us.

But if you've got a Belgium produced AMC,  it'd maybe have even more value if it was returned to it's stock configuration as produced by them, rather than the using USA AMC parts.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muzikant23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2019 at 4:03pm
About value - no offense!Smile
In Russia is the Lada 2101 and they almost has no value (only for enthusiasts). And there is a GAZ 13 Chaika - it is very valuable and very expensive car.

The French AMC forum didn't give me any ideas, so I came here.

Edited by muzikant23 - Jul/07/2019 at 4:12pm
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2019 at 5:40pm
Do you have a mph or kph speedometer? That should give an indication of the vehicles origin.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2019 at 11:17pm
very few old cars are worth much money. the ones that are were usually very desirable when they were new -- here in the US, early Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. Very few cars that were inexpensive passenger cars later become valuable in old age. exceptionally perfect, documentable low mileage, etc maybe.

but that's a cool car! the original T-96 transmission is extremely weak, they fail often, replacement/repair parts become very hard to find and expensive. replacing the good GAZ trans with a crappy old T-96 will not make the car more valuable i dont think.

and a 5-speed behind a 232 would be wonderful! i have a 5-speed in my '61 Rambler AMerican, behind the older 195.6 engine, and it's made the car far more fun and drivable.

i broke a T-96 transmission twice, with an engine with less horsepower than your 232.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muzikant23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2019 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Lucas660 Lucas660 wrote:

Do you have a mph or kph speedometer? That should give an indication of the vehicles origin.

https://yadi.sk/i/9-1hHAsjBy5Kyw

kilometers 
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muzikant23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2019 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

very few old cars are worth much money. the ones that are were usually very desirable when they were new -- here in the US, early Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. Very few cars that were inexpensive passenger cars later become valuable in old age. exceptionally perfect, documentable low mileage, etc maybe.

but that's a cool car! the original T-96 transmission is extremely weak, they fail often, replacement/repair parts become very hard to find and expensive. replacing the good GAZ trans with a crappy old T-96 will not make the car more valuable i dont think.

and a 5-speed behind a 232 would be wonderful! i have a 5-speed in my '61 Rambler AMerican, behind the older 195.6 engine, and it's made the car far more fun and drivable.

i broke a T-96 transmission twice, with an engine with less horsepower than your 232.

Yes, the 5-speed GAZ transmission gives the Rambler a 0-100 kmh (0-60 miles) acceleration within 10 seconds. It's not bad for an old man probably.
You can even burnout sometimes)
This transmission is quiet.
But still I want to have a "factory" gearbox in stock. If I find it))

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2019 at 6:32am
You won't like the driving with a three speed as much as with the five speed. Five speed conversions are pretty common over here now! Makes the car drive more like a modern car.

You might want to contact the AMC clubs in Finland (https://www.amccf.com/) and/or the Swedish Rambler club (https://www.facebook.com/groups/36774550822/ ... you can use Google Translate on this page).
They would be cheaper to ship parts from than the US, if they can find them.

Again, you have a Belgian built Rambler-Renault, and from what little info I can find they used a four speed transmission. I'm not sure if that is just a typo or mistake on one site that has been spread over the internet or is a fact. I'm trying to contact someone in the French club to find out, also if the suspension in the rear was changed for the four speed, since Rambler didn't have a four speed until 1966, and that for the V-8s -- the Borg-Warner T-10. Some early Mexican vehicles used the T-10 with a six, mostly Jeeps or HD trucks that used the AMC six produced in Mexico. The bell housings for those (and info on them) are very hard to find!

There should be a data plate on the latch edge of the driver's door. That should verify that it's a Rambler-Renault or imported from the US. Some were imported from the US by small dealerships in other parts of the country -- it's possible one made it's way to Russia.
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2019 at 6:46am
Aas far as value....  Ramblers don't have a great deal of value in the US. Popularity drives price, and they aren't real popular. They have been gaining in value over the last few years as the more popular models shoot up in price due to low availability. So the Rambler ends up a good value choice for both collectors and hot rodders. The Rambler was usually a good value choice when new, looks like it's continuing that tradition!

My 63 Classic is actually worth about twice as much as a mild street rod than it would be stock. A 63 Classic wagon with AC and 196 six cylinder is valued at $6435 in #3 condition (good usable as is, shows wear, needs minor cosmetic and/or mechanical work... most driven cars would be rated #3, most show cars are actually #2, museum pieces/immaculate trailered restos are #1... at least for the first few years after resto...). Not much to it, mostly modernized, but still has the Rambler look and feel inside and out. 4.0L six with EFI and AW4 four speed auto from a 2WD Jeep, Jaguar IRS, stock front suspension with late model Ford Thunderbird rack and pinion steering, seats from a 1988 or so Eagle Premier. The seats are square back buckets in front, only the head rests give them away as more modern at first glance. They are power seats also, but that's not noticeable unless you look for it. I intended to build it as a bit modernized driver, mostly because of the low stock value.  Mine has AC, which adds 10% (and I still use the factory dash vents and evaporator inside) and had an auto stock. I'd prefer a five speed, but when I was converting the car in 2003 a five speed wasn't available and an AW4 just landed in my lap cheap.

Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic