TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rambler 64 manual transmission.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muzikant23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rambler 64 manual transmission.
    Posted: Jun/30/2019 at 5:42pm
Hello, friends. 
I have Rambler Classic 1964 with 232 engine.
Made in Brussel!!

I can not find information on the model of the transmission

In the automatic a lot of information - for manual - minimal
Now I use non-original transmission, but I want to fix it.

Help me please)

ps: sorry for bad English

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2019 at 8:03am
Can you post a photo of the transmission? US models used a Borg-Warner T-96 or T-86 three speed. The Belgian Ramblers may have used something else. The Borg-Warner transmissions usually have the number cast into the casing though, which leads me to believe the Belgian Rambler may have a Renault (truck?) transmission or some other European sourced transmission (ZF??) .
Frank Swygert
muzikant23 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muzikant23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2019 at 5:11pm
Can't upload photos
maybe it's a browser error((
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2019 at 5:14pm
You have to have so many posts before you can post photos. Keeps the spammers and short timers out.  It's not that many though... and you can always post links to other photo sites.

Frank Swygert
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muzikant23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2019 at 5:25pm
https://yadi.sk/i/nHC7NfD1-23gtw

https://yadi.sk/i/4Stu9IzDQ1Wk4g

Photos on Yandex cloud service
Only this

Edited by muzikant23 - Jul/03/2019 at 5:42pm
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2019 at 11:20pm
That is not a Borg-Warner T-96 or T-86.   It looks like a much more sophisticated transmission.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2019 at 7:28am
Just as I feared,  that is a European sourced transmission.  It's either a Renault or ZF trans, I suspect a ZF from the looks. With the stamped rear crossmember it looks stock. Contact these guys, they should have some info for you. Is it a three or four speed? From what little I can find on the Rambler-Renault they had a four speed, may have been on column or floor. There are other Euro cars with Columbia four speeds, and at least Asian vehicles with column five speeds.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Nonprofit-Organization/Renault-Rambler-club-de-France-310198825690068/

Edited by farna - Jul/04/2019 at 7:33am
Frank Swygert
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muzikant23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2019 at 3:22pm
Wow, guys - this gearbox is a GAZ! - Is a product of the dark Soviet genius))  - not original! I installed it!
I'm trying to find the original transmission.
Maybe it's lost in translate))

https://yadi.sk/i/WU1T7oFHC7h70A

Edited by muzikant23 - Jul/04/2019 at 3:27pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2019 at 6:56am
Sorry, just missed it somehow! I see in your original post you mention you currently have a non-original transmission.

So you must have a non-original rear axle. Looking at your photos again (https://yadi.sk/i/nHC7NfD1-23gtw), I see you have a different rear axle and what looks like a ladder bar setup. The only problem with going back to an original transmission is that you would still have the non-original rear axle and driveshaft setup. Unless you plan on going back to an original rear axle with torque-tube and original trans I don't see the point. The parts are heavy and would be costly to send from the US or Canada. Is the GAZ gearbox failing?

Is the rear axle and suspension setup in your photo original to the Rambler-Renault? They had a European sourced four speed transmission, so they must have done something different with the rear axle or made an adapter for the torque tube. We're just not familiar with the changes Renault made to the Rambler they assembled.
Frank Swygert
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muzikant23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2019 at 3:52pm
Yes. I got it without a gearbox and I installed the one that matched the engine torque. 
The rear axle and driveshaft were included with the car. I don't know about their originality.

The fact that the original auto parts for Rambler 64  expensive, (especially shipping across the ocean) I have already understood((

GAZ transmission works fine, but the Soviet part in the AMC - not true))
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic