TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Getting the texture back in plastic repairs???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting the texture back in plastic repairs???
    Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 11:41am
For example, say you have an interior part, console, dash part, similar plastic, with a cigarette burn, crack or gouge or something and you repair and/or fill the defect -great, now you have a flat/smooth surface next to the fake vinyl texture of the plastic. 
What if anything can be done to return at least some of the texture so it's not like you have as smooth as a baby's butt next to textured plastic bits??|
Looks OBVIOUSLY repaired..... draws almost as much attention as the original crack or burn or gouge! Maybe more.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 2:12pm
I have repaired cracked AMX quarter side sills, then restored the texture by using body filler. After sanding it smooth I carefully scratched the pattern back into it using an awl. It takes time but if done carefully the repair isn't noticeable at all.

Shelby Coleman was also working on restoring the finish to textured parts using a different method.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 2:17pm
Sort of funny, really - I am out in my shop looking at the part again - thinking well if I don't get anything usable in the next little bit I'll have to just figure it out and make it work. Have to keep things moving along. 
My thinking in case all else failed - spot filler and some dental tools and picks and awls..... to try to match the pattern as best I could. 
And here you come suggesting basically the same thing. Worth a shot - there's always more filler if that fails. Wink
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 6:21pm
SEM 39853 Black Texture Coating Aerosol - 16 oz.

The professional body shops use this when applicable (vs. bumper cover replacement).

product details
TEXTURE COATING (SEM-39853) Texture Coating is a unique blend of flexible materials for restoring the textured finish on bumpers, dashes, fiberglass tops and other plastic parts prior to painting. Duplicates original textures Ready to spray Quick drying Topcoat with most refinish materials

Tricks to using the spray.
1. be very consistent with distant and speed of spraying
2. the number of coats sprayed will determine the thickness and texture of the part.
3. Use a small sanding block and lightly sand the surface of the texture spray after it cures. The spray will leave a very sharp top edge. When you sand the top sharp edges down the texture takes on the look of a textured automotive surface..

4. After the light sanding, I will either sand again for a flatter looking texture or realize the texture has not built up high enough, which requires a couple more coats of spraying the texture material.

I would practice before using. I have repaired numerous vehicle consoles using this product and the techniques described above.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

theamcguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theamcguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 7:07pm
Bill check out this video on YouTube.

Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1967 Rebel SST
1969 SC/Rambler
1972 Hornet Sportabout
1976 Matador Brougham
AMCRC. AMCWC, AMO, NAMDRA

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 7:29am
Originally posted by hassyfoto hassyfoto wrote:

SEM 39853 Black Texture Coating Aerosol - 16 oz.

The professional body shops use this when applicable (vs. bumper cover replacement).

product details
TEXTURE COATING (SEM-39853) Texture Coating is a unique blend of flexible materials for restoring the textured finish on bumpers, dashes, fiberglass tops and other plastic parts prior to painting. Duplicates original textures Ready to spray Quick drying Topcoat with most refinish materials

Tricks to using the spray.
1. be very consistent with distant and speed of spraying
2. the number of coats sprayed will determine the thickness and texture of the part.
3. Use a small sanding block and lightly sand the surface of the texture spray after it cures. The spray will leave a very sharp top edge. When you sand the top sharp edges down the texture takes on the look of a textured automotive surface..

4. After the light sanding, I will either sand again for a flatter looking texture or realize the texture has not built up high enough, which requires a couple more coats of spraying the texture material.

I would practice before using. I have repaired numerous vehicle consoles using this product and the techniques described above.

Hammered texture paint works for some rough random sandy type textures on rigid parts, many plastics, etc. - but I'm referring more to the texture that is a grain-like pattern - longer patterns, directional, not a simple rough finish. Vinyl and other parts have longer fine textures you could trace with an awl, not a sandy dot pattern.
The texture I'm referring to would likely require some sort of film or piece to press into a paint or layer put on the part repaired. 
Otherwise the sand-like texture isn't too bad to do with textured paints. But vinyl usually has a grain to it so it's not something you could spray on - unless you could somehow make it "run" to duplicate the grain pattern, the longer troughs and valleys in the texture like leather has. 

That SEM product would work on the bumper guards (and be easier than what I've been doing) - but not on the console texture of an Eagle which has a longer grain pattern to it like leather or Naugahyde. 

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 7:51am
When I repaired the dash pad in my project, "The 69" , I used the SEM product you guys mention. Its expensive and a can doesn't go very far. I used a whole can on one dash. You need at least a 2 or 3 coats. Its the only product I could find. (Pictures in The Project Section)

The dash is not original looking but it is an even texture and looks good. You could not use it for "spot" repair in my opinion. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 8:56am
I used hammered texture paint on a couple of items - small trim parts, and it ended up really nice for spot repairs in those cases where the texture was more like sand paper (SEM describes theirs as being about the same as 60 grit sand paper) and it worked fine - but - it tends to cause even a flat or semi-flat sprayed over it to appear glossy so it takes some finesse to get it right. 
The vinyl and other plastic parts that have more of a leather texture or look to them - those still trying to figure out. The Eagle consoles aren't the texture that the SEM product can produce - the lines are longer, it's not like sand paper but a texture of lines and valleys in the plastic. Hard to describe, will try to get a good close pic of the texture. More like leather or vinyl but on plastic. Not like bumper parts or some other trims that are indeed more like course sandpaper with the tops smoothed off.

AHA - here's a perfect example - you can't spray this - 

theamcguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theamcguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 4:52am
Bill Check out the Youtube video.  He describes a way to copy and transfer the pattern from vinyl dashes on to vinyl repairs.   

Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1967 Rebel SST
1969 SC/Rambler
1972 Hornet Sportabout
1976 Matador Brougham
AMCRC. AMCWC, AMO, NAMDRA

CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2019 at 1:14pm
On model airplanes and our Ford Mustangs we made a mold out of epoxy and glass.  The trick for most will be the release agent from the textured original and the new mold.  Ours was this special stuff that came in bulk volumes and special order. you could experiment with PAM or Bakers Joy or the like.  If you are lucky enough to have a convex piece of trim in your car make the your mold there.  that way you can 'roll' the texture onto your repair instead of trying to flat stamp it.
72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic