TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

V8 Crankcase venting for autocross or roadrace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V8 Crankcase venting for autocross or roadrace
    Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 4:38pm
I have been using my car for Autocross for a while now, and I think I need to do a better jop of venting the engine.
Currently I have the PCV at the back of the intake manifold, and have tried various hose routing with an oil separator from the PCV with a breather at the oil fill at the front of the engine. Hasn't seemed to work all that well, so I'm in a 'start over' phase.

I just picked up a tunnel ram, so that has no provisions for PCV or oil fill, so I went ahead and put PCV breathers into my valve covers in preparation for that future change. I'll plumb the new crankcase venting from the valve covers from here on out.

I see that the T/A cars have done various things to keep crankcase pressure under control on the wet sump cars, however there are so many more options now for managing crankcase pressure now that werent available in the past I'm curious what others have done to manage this?
Thanks
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 5:13pm
I think our local rules require a 3 liter (3 quart) catch can for road race applications. Block the PCV off, you don't need it. Run a vacuum pump on the crankcase if you are keen.

My thoughts is some fabricated valve covers with baffled AN fitting welded to the top and some rubber hose to your catch can wherever you decide to mount it.

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2019 at 6:48am
You have located those breathers right over a rocker arm. Make sure you have a good baffle.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2019 at 8:08pm
Not AMC, but something like this would be the ticket:

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2019 at 8:14pm
PS: I just run a breather on the filler neck and wipe the oil off after each run or two:

Well it's not normally this bad, that was an issue with the rocker cover gasket Big smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic