TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Borg Warner M12 Installation procedure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Borg Warner M12 Installation procedure
    Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 4:22pm
Local shop rebuilt my Borg Warner M12. Does the torque converter require filling with Dextron lll or 1V before installing the converter and transmission? If so, how many quarts?

The engine and transmission will be raised up into the engine bay from underneath the car. 

If I recall correctly the dowel pins go in the converter housing first,  and then the transmission's dowel pins are matched up to the engine block aligning holes?
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 5:05pm
I remember the hollow locating dowel pins are pressed into the block...
Yes, I did pour 1 quart of trans fluid into the Converter before putting it into the Trans.
Also a thin coat on the Converter Pump Drive Snout to help it be friendly with the Converter Seal.
Obviously be sure you get 3 "clunks", converter fully in place, 1-spline, 2-spline, 3-Pump Lugs.
Converter is indexed to the flexplate and only mounts up, lines up all 4 holes,
in only 1 of the 4 possible positions, and the flexplate balance weight
may prevent much converter rotation once the BellHousing is bolted to the Block
and don't forget the 1/8" thick Motor Plate BEFORE the Flexplate is attached to the Crank Flange.
The Motorplate is also located by the Dowels pressed into the block.
Suggest, by hand, screw all the bell housing bolts into the Block BEFORE getting the trans up into place
to check and make sure the bolts and threads are in good shape and bolts screw in freely.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jun/25/2019 at 5:08pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 5:07pm
I'd say 2 or 3 quarts into the converter before installation, not critical. I don't think it matters which way the dowel pins go, but usually I have found that they stay in the block. Don't forget the mid-plate between the block and transmission.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 5:28pm
Thank you for the quick responses. I pulled the engine four years ago and wasn't sure about the dowel alignment pins. The pins go in the bottom corner holes in the block. The shop that bored the block must have taken the dowel pins out. I do have new one's. I'll pound them in using a piece a 2"x 4"  hard oak and hammer. Then, mount the mid-plate, flex plate, torque converter, and M12. Then, bolt to engine and hoist her up. Thanks for the replies and pm's.

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Jun/25/2019 at 6:02pm
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 5:40pm
They can also be pulled into the block using smaller sized bolts, some good washers, and a hex nut.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 6:07pm
Great idea! That I will do. I just tried to pre-fit the dowel pins into the BH and it seems the BH bolts will actually pull the transmission into place onto the dowel pins. I am understanding why Delta Transmission advised me to pay attention to the order of events when installing the M12. lThanx 

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Jun/25/2019 at 6:09pm
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 6:31pm
I always mount automatics with the torque converter in the trans.  Like said above, you need to be sure the slots in the nose of the T/C align with the tabs on the pump inside the trans.  If you try to pull the engine and trans together with the bolts, you can break the pump if the tabs aren't aligned.  There is enough fore/aft movement of the torque converter to get the studs into the flexplate with the trans loosely attached.

Bob
tufcj

69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 7:32pm
Bob, Appreciate the technical advice. The M12 installation procedure is poorly explained in the TSM. Chilton's does a better job explaining but did not mention the T/C slots mating with the pump tabs. Thanks again for important advice.
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 9:21pm
The converter will bolt up with any of the four holes in any position.  There is no indexing of the converter.  It is neutral balanced.  If there is a drain plug, then you should make sure it comes out of one of the flex plate balance holes.  Line it up through the starter and access holes.  Do not pull the bell and the engine together with the bolts, you will break the pump.  Make sure the converter fits the crank pilot before you install the converter in the trans.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2019 at 7:54pm
Torqueflite transmissions have the indexed converter, BW converter bolts on in any direction, just the flex plate is indexed.

Converter goes into the transmission then you offer the trans and converter up to the engine. You should check for some forward/aft movement in the converter before bolting (nutting) it the flex plate, that way you know the converter is properly seated in the transmission. 
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic