TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2019 at 8:52am
The port above the butterfly will have little to no effect at idle. Because the butterfly is restricting the vacuum signal. You should get vacuum there at cruise. There is varying opinions of whether to connect to "ported" vacuum or manifold vacuum. I would follow what the tsm recommends.
V8Mart View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8Mart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2019 at 12:28pm
both ports are below the butterfly...just....level with the mixture screws

ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2019 at 10:21pm
End play will allow the rotor to raise up, and that is where it will ride adter engine is spinning.   The only problem is the mech advance cam raises up out of level with the weights.  I'll speculate that your weights show tip wear at the tops but the bottoms have sharp burr.  I shimmed mine and replaced the weights. 
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2019 at 10:22pm
Also, the Mr Gasket recurve weight kit for those distributors may be out of production.  Mine (Jeep) uses short beak weights.  Ordered NOS kit from ebay  
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 2:09am
It shouldn't idle poorly or stumble off idle even with no vacuum advance what so ever. Half of my AMC engines have no vacuum advance below 35 miles per hour because the TCS solenoid blocks the vacuum to the distributor until that speed. None of them idle bad or stumble.

I think that distributor needs a proper rebuild. Points distributors wear out and get messed up by mechanics over the years and miles until they no longer work properly. Most points distributors are getting pretty sloppy in their dwell and timing stability by 125,000 miles. Pertronix conversion is an expensive but easy way to make a worn out points distributor run properly again rather than rebuild it.

A plugged or exceptionally lean idle or transfer system in the carburetor is not out of the question.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
V8Mart View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8Mart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 5:59am
latest update....set initial timing back to 5, connected vac advance pipe to a spare port on the intake instead of carb, timing advanced to 20 at idle instantly , stumble reduced but not eliminated completely, stumbles when throttle is floored and sometimes results in a backfire through carb......too much advance perhaps?
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 7:28am
Sounds like it needs an accelerator pump.  If that doesnt solve it replace power valve.  
V8Mart View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8Mart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2019 at 11:24am
Im thinking a distributor rebuild kit is needed, wheres a good source ?
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2019 at 5:40pm
My advice to increase the initial timing assumed that it would be set without vacuum advance.  Not uncommon to have 20-25 advance at idle with vacuum added.  Vacuum will be lower when you crack the throttle so you still may not have enough advance.  But I agree 100% a bad accelerator will result in a stumble when the throttle is moved even a little.  Good luck.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2019 at 1:13pm
How many miles on this 304? If its got over 70k, you can bet the timing chain will have slack.
And if the chain is worn, the 5 degrees will be too retarded. The factory settings is for emissions. I would not be afraid to advance it to anywhere from 8-12 degrees.....
But if you are going to leave it stock.....fix the advance and the acc pump in the carburetor. 
If you want better performance...then you can do a bit more. But be careful if you go past 14 degrees...some engines will crank hard with too much initial....  Im with Bassboat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic