TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rambler American Front End Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rambler American Front End Rebuild
    Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 12:09pm
I finally broke down and committed to replacing all the wear parts on the front end as they seem to be going one after the other.  I purchased the Kantor kit, it includes:
-lower ball joints
-outer tie rods
-stabilizer link kit
-strut bushing kit
-bushing, upper
-bushing (inner?)
-poly trunnion kit

With everything coming off, I might as well replace any wear parts and I noticed a few were missing:
-coil spring upper and lower rubbers/isolators
-coil spring bumpers
-sway bar bushings (most likely not in the kit because not all had a sway bar.
I'll get these from Kennedy

I do have a few questions.

-Does the trunnion kit eliminate the bearing that sits under it on the steering knuckle pin? Does it need to be replaced, or left in place with the new kit? (I didn't see bearings when I opened the box but obviously will open the package fully to double-check)

-Am I missing any other rubbers or wear parts?  I did grab a new pair of shocks as well.

Thanks

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 1:35pm
I don't know why kits come with the outer tie rid ends and not the inner. I would replace those as well.
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 2:31pm
I doubt the kit would eliminate the need for the bearing that sits under the trunnion on the knuckle pin.  Unless completely worn, you should be able to use the old bearing.  Those bearings are pretty stout.  The trunnion should be able to turn tightly by hand on the knuckle pin.  If it is sloppy or extremely easy to turn, then consider replacement.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 4:48pm
Our friend from CA has found bearings to be reusable. Here in the northeast rust belt, I have never found an old bearing that was not seized up. Every one I have taken apart was junk and the new ones I installed had a pin hole where a pinhole grease gun attachment could grease them. Originals were not greaseable. Unless you have a car from the southwest, you will likely need to replace the bearings.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 4:51pm
Yep, a little fortunate with mild weather.  Good catch, did not think about heavy rain and snow creating significant rust/wear issues and wreaking havoc on parts!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2019 at 5:28pm
I unpacked the bags the kit came in and it did have the bearings...it should for what it cost.  The bearing was surrounded by an instruction page folded up in each kit's bag...and with those bags in a bigger bag I just missed them.  Ordered the inner tie rods along with a pair of adjusters, good call Snotty.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2019 at 7:14am
That's a thrust bearing and holds all the weight of the car. Without it the steering would be hard to turn and you'd wear the bottom of the trunnion housing... if it would go together correctly, which it won't. AMC used a sealed bearing, but there is a generic that works. IIRC it's slightly thicker and not sealed on the bottom, but keep it greased and any dirt keeps pushed out, and any water that goes up has to come down. I've been running that generic since I rebuilt my suspension in 2000. Was a daily driver for seven years with 5-7K a year on it, not driven so much now (maybe 2500-3000 a year). Bearing still works fine.

The rebuild kit is so expensive because of the upper trunnions. Did yours come with rebuilt trunnions or a big polyurethane bushing that goes in your existing housing? I think Kanter provides a refurbished trunnion, but they may have switched to the bushing. You cna't torque that bushing down as much as the TSM says -- it works differently than the original. Torque it down that much and it won't turn or turns very hard. Just snug the nut down, and you might want to use some loc-tite on it for peace of mind.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2019 at 7:23am
It's a trunnion kit, Frank.  It said "2-1", with a comment about it being a little different than stock.  Opening up the package, the difference is with the rubber inside the trunnion.  The bearings look quality, I figured they were sealed but I'll check closer when I get home.

Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler Midnight Rambler wrote:

Ordered the inner tie rods along with a pair of adjusters, good call Snotty.

Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2019 at 6:55pm
Bearings look decent:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic