TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > The Member Companies and Products of AMC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gucci Sportabout

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
V8Mart View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8Mart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gucci Sportabout
    Posted: Jun/23/2019 at 2:14am
For a while, my research lead me to believe my fawn beige was a special order as it was not one of the 4 listed gucci colours but recently I discovered that in 73 the yuca tan was dropped and silver and fawn beige were added to the line up. I know that the V8 option only made up for around 12% of the gucci production, total gucci production  was around 5,300 over the 2 years, but after that Ive reached a dead end. It would be good to know how many survive

73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by V8Mart V8Mart wrote:

I have a 73 V8 powered Gucci Sportabout in E6 fawn beige. It appears to have a mix of option packages, D/L wood side trim , full tinted windows, sporty steering wheel, heavy sway bar and marks on the rear quarter that suggests it may have had "X" emblems placed after the sportabout emblems. Is there a way of finding out how many were produced/sold like this?

One of the better sources for production numbers is the 'Standard Catalog of American Motors' - which is reasonably accurate.  The problem in the AMC hobby is always trying to figure out specific combination of options or equipment production numbers, and AMC was notoriously poor at either keeping this kind of information, or if they were keeping it, really poor at letting outside sources have it.

According to the book, there were a total of 44,719 Sportabout wagons built - in any engine/transmission or trim combo. There is no breakout (at least in this book) of V8, or specific trim orders.  Others here on the forum may have additional information.  The Gucci option was listed in this book as retailing for a mere $142 in 1973.

Edited by 73Gremlin401 - Jun/22/2019 at 1:55pm
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

V8Mart View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8Mart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2019 at 12:55am
I have a 73 V8 powered Gucci Sportabout in E6 fawn beige. It appears to have a mix of option packages, D/L wood side trim , full tinted windows, sporty steering wheel, heavy sway bar and marks on the rear quarter that suggests it may have had "X" emblems placed after the sportabout emblems. Is there a way of finding out how many were produced/sold like this?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic