TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What carburetor is this?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by 330inthemorning 330inthemorning wrote:

Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Wow, I would doubt that is the original carb.  The body casting that says Ball and Ball Carburetor mfd. for Chrysler Corporation would suggest that.  Ball and Ball sold out to Carter in the '40's and the casting then read Mfd. by Carter Carburetor.
the BBS that came as original equipment on my '65 dart wagon said ball & ball on the casting.

I went out in the garage and looked at one mid-'60's BBS I have and sure enough, it's the same casting.  All I can ASSUME is that the mold was never changed when Carter bought out Ball and Ball.  My initial assumption was WRONG.  No way to sugar coat it.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 11:05pm
good luck with chinese YF! i am VERY curious how it works out! new castings for old carbs would be a good thing.

there are a lot of clones of the smaller Webers. hundreds cheaper! they're often just fine -- but as often, erratic quality. it's not that small chinese small businesses can't make good stuff, but that it's all over the place, far away, and a handful of bad operators pee in the pool. and who can tell good from bad frmo 5000 miles away?

but the YF is not very demanding, tech-wise. it may be that a bit of cleanup of the casting or whatever and it will be just great.

we never fully understand all the motives out there... for a while there i was using this radio chip, NRF24L01+, a data radio on a chip meant for wireless keyboards, etc. retail cost was like 99 cents. some chinese manufacturer decapped this 99 cent part, CLONED IT, and sold it for 33 cents. in quantity. some US/EU person decapped THAT, and x-rayed it, and documented the rough tech used to clone it. RF chips are HARD! it had many problems... but it's an amazing feat.

a Carter YF clone could be a very good thing!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 11:25pm
That is not an RBS carb.  That carb model (shown) was never used on a U.S. made AMC engine as far as I know.  Ball and Ball carbs were used Mopar six cylinder engines for many years.  Joe

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Creme-de-la-Grem View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creme-de-la-Grem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

good luck with chinese YF! i am VERY curious how it works out! new castings for old carbs would be a good thing.

there are a lot of clones of the smaller Webers. hundreds cheaper! they're often just fine -- but as often, erratic quality. it's not that small chinese small businesses can't make good stuff, but that it's all over the place, far away, and a handful of bad operators pee in the pool. and who can tell good from bad frmo 5000 miles away?

but the YF is not very demanding, tech-wise. it may be that a bit of cleanup of the casting or whatever and it will be just great.

we never fully understand all the motives out there... for a while there i was using this radio chip, NRF24L01+, a data radio on a chip meant for wireless keyboards, etc. retail cost was like 99 cents. some chinese manufacturer decapped this 99 cent part, CLONED IT, and sold it for 33 cents. in quantity. some US/EU person decapped THAT, and x-rayed it, and documented the rough tech used to clone it. RF chips are HARD! it had many problems... but it's an amazing feat.

a Carter YF clone could be a very good thing!

They castings look fairly ok. Externally at least. Some flashing here and there but, like you say.. Should probably be ok.

Should I go for a electric choke conversion right away, or do these old stove type ones work ok?

Edited by Creme-de-la-Grem - Jun/25/2019 at 4:07pm
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 4:06pm
The thermal (manifold heat) chokes work fine as long as they are maintained.  You would need a tube from the perforation in the exhaust manifold to the choke assembly on the carb.  The tube should only convey heated air from the manifold to the choke spring.  BTW, as someone may already have told you, that is a Carter YF carburetor.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2019 at 4:09am
That is not a Carter YF. I know the YF like the back of my hand, I've been daily driving one all over the western United States for the last ten years and 40,000 miles. I became very familiar with the YF because my car had a remanufactured YF installed on it that was not calibrated properly for my engine, and I spent about a year messing with jets and rods until I got it to run right.

A 1973 Gremlin should have had a YF from the factory, but that is not a YF. That is some kind of Ball & Ball carburetor, which Ball & Ball eventually became Carter, but that was long before 1973. Whatever carburetor that is, it's not stock for any AMC I've ever seen, and it's probably 15-20 years older than your Gremlin. It doesn't belong there, it probably doesn't right. Some 1950's Chrysler flathead six is probably missing it, but it's not a YF.

The last picture in this thread of the new carburetor is a Carter YFA, which is an updated version of the YF introduced around 1980.

Edited by FSJunkie - Jun/28/2019 at 4:11am
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creme-de-la-Grem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2019 at 5:22pm
Ok next issue.

The new YF carb came without the fitting for the fuel inlet. Does anyone know what thread they use on these?

It's easy to get lost when you're used to metric..

The hole measures around 7.5 mm or so. 
(had no calipers at hand so i stuck a hex key in to measure it roughly)
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2019 at 5:45pm
It probably uses maybe a 5/16 or 3/8 thread? Or maybe even a 1/4 thread fitting 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creme-de-la-Grem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2019 at 6:15pm
When measuring these threads with a caliper. Do I measure the hole or the nut/screw? 

Outer diameter of the screw, right?

And are we talking UNF?

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2019 at 6:37pm
Shew... 7.5mm = 0.295 inches... 
my guess would be 1/8 inch Tapered Pipe Thread, but 1/8" Pipe is 0.405 inch O.D.,
or maybe 1/16 inch Tapered Pipe Thread even ?, 1/16 inch Pipe is 0.313 inch O.D.,
or Female Inverted Flare Thread ?, is there a Tapered "nipple" seat in the bottom of the hole?
Need a picture of the hole... Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic