TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dang. Head Gasket Tabs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dang. Head Gasket Tabs
    Posted: Jun/14/2019 at 3:09pm
I guess I'm pulling heads.  Failed to clip those little tabs from around the alignment dowels.  At least I havent mounted the intake.  
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2019 at 8:34am
Your kidding right?
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2019 at 8:54am
Not sure, if them wee tabs make a difference with later engines. Once you install the gasket they should flex and bend enough to align anyway. Dont know when the tabs were used, but i never bothered with trimming them.

The key for a proper seal is copper spray. I wont do a head gasket install without it.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2019 at 10:02am
I've never removed them.  I think they were put there so the same gasket would center no matter if it was a gen2 or gen3.  The gen2 alignment dowels are smaller.  They flex out of the way.  Like 304-dude said, copper spray on the steel side, always.  Never had a failure with Fel-Pro.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2019 at 3:25pm
Well I can't say one way or the other if it matters or not but... the Felpro paper insert shows...
But y'know, I would imagine very few folks actually trim those tabs...
And boy, unsure if I would pull installed Heads after realizing I had failed to trim those tabs... ugh...
For assembly, after cleanliness, man... attention to details... stinkin' little details...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jun/15/2019 at 5:01pm
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2019 at 4:50pm
Wow,  I've done hundreds of engines, and never removed the tabs.  Never had a failure caused by not doing it either. 
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2019 at 5:04pm
I must not have had that particular gasket set or notice... Since it states when slotted cap screw hole is supplied.

The times I did head gaskets installs on AMC v8, none had the tabs, and laid flush without any effort to fit over the dowels, as if I missed noticing them. There has never been a time where I have not skipped a dry fitment with gasket and mating surface. So, I assumed the tabs were auto adjusting, and made question on when the tabs were introduced.

IS IT possible, depending on the gasket set, that the tabs are not present? The time I did the installs were back in the mid 80s and 91.

I would think once one fits the gasket in place, it would be very noticable enough to see a fitment issue. I assumed in my first reply that the tabs were made to be self adjusting... until I read the noticed supplied in the recent reply, and now know there is a proper procedure to the use or removal of the tabs.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2019 at 5:54pm
I'm not kidding that I failed to remove them.  The instructions read like it really REALLY matters.  But if all the cool kids are leaving them on without issue then stay they will!  Thanks, guys.  

I did check my spare heads and there is a generous chamfer around the dowel that seems like it has room to spare for the little taps.  
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2019 at 5:56pm
I'm wondering if Felpro is having gaskets made fore them. First head gasket failure ever on a new build.
The one side of the gasket didn't have a "textured" surface by chance?
Never seen ones like this and will never use them again!
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2019 at 7:08pm
There was a blue side and a metal side.  I didnt notice any texture. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic