TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

older style intake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: older style intake
    Posted: Jun/12/2019 at 1:09pm
Hey all.

I have an older style Edelbrock 2131 low rise intake manifold on my '72 SST, and was wondering if it has a exhaust crossover under the carb like some older GM products.  The specs from Edelbrock are unclear.  Trying to decide if I need one of those thermal break carb gaskets or not.  It does look like the valley pan shield is in place and there is a 1" alum. spacer on top already.
Thanks

Char
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2019 at 2:04pm
The #2131 is a Performer series Intake and it does have the heat crossover.
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2019 at 3:15pm
Dennis - the walking, typing, dictionary of all things intake manifolds. Pretty cool.....
Anyway, speaking of cool - I personally prefer to run those insulators under carburetors after my experiences with gasoline lately - and hearing the stuff boil after shutting down. Even years ago it was something I liked to see as when a car is towed into the shop off I80 with fuel troubles and you are told "this family is in a hurry, get on it right away" and you burn your fingers getting a carburetor off - well.....  ;-)
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2019 at 4:08pm
Great, thanks guys.  Big gooey carb gasket it is.  maybe and airgap in the future.
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by CHAR CHAR wrote:

Great, thanks guys.  Big gooey carb gasket it is.  maybe and airgap in the future.

Phenolic spacer, solid rubber, Jegs and Summit carry them from 1/2" to 2" for under $20.  Great insurance if you have the clearance, even if you don't need it for a heat problem it still keeps the carb cooler so it should increase performance.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2019 at 11:32am
Yeah, I got the thinnest phenolic one for now.  The 2 1/2" open air filter dish hold down already leaves a good dimple in the hood pad.  May have to increase the filter diameter and cut the height.  thx
72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2019 at 3:03pm
Depending on the type of carb, there are 1/4” thick phenolic spacers available as well if hood clearance, such as on an AMX, is a concern. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic