TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Front end similarities hornet/concorde/eagle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2019 at 9:52pm
Quote Don't forget the original post was NOT about Spirit, which is decidedly different than Hornet and Gremlin of the early years for each.
Of course!!  That's why I said that I couldn't speak for a Gremlin, and also apologized for hijacking the thread!!

Quote So, you are running with only three anchor points?
Quote Doable but personally it's not where I'd go.

NO!!  Of course not!!
There is NO way I would compromise the safety of anyone traveling in my car!!!
I find it a bit insulting that you would assume so!!!

I've read your thread about Eagle vs Spirit seats...
I know you spent a lot of time documenting the differences between them!
But it just doesn't jive with how I was able put Spirit seats in an Eagle with one simple bracket modification!

It's a locked thread, so I couldn't ask you any questions there!
So I started a new thread with the exact same subject name, hoping you might reply, but you never did....

Please insult me on that thread, not this one!

Again, I apologize to the original poster, for getting things so far off track!!

Mac.
You Drive A What?!?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2019 at 10:23pm
I asked only because you said something about it being a simple matter of cutting a bracket. You didn't mention how you rigged that front center point. That's all. I didn't see any further than cutting - 
(and frankly, it scares me what I see some folks putting out there as ok mods to brakes, suspension and other stuff- just plain scary - I didn't know your work from adam (or george? or Eve?) and didn't see the final result posted in this thread - so maybe I assumed, too - if indeed, sorry!

the seat height will be different than the SX4 seat ASIDE from that front center mount point because the other bracket height is different - not that it can't fit because they are the same otherwise. They changed the height and had to tuck the front center anchor point up inside the seat frame (aside from the other height changes. 

I haven't taken measurements of the floor areas but it sure feels like Eagle wagons are different - the seats are different for sure as I've seen people take seats from bigger cars into the Eagle without major work. Won't see that with an SX4
It would seem that the SX4 is unique among Eagle. You feel like you are sitting lower in the car, IMO - I've owned two of each - more if you count scrap cars. they sit differently inside. 

I'd never have seen the other thread as there's no alert for new threads and if it was started last fall I was neck deep in dealing with Dad's death, the estate - and trying to get my brothers to be realistic about real estate sales in my home town (where values SUCK) - I wasn't around much for a while after July last year.

Back on the SX4 - the SX4 floor appears to be more radical and even different from sedan because the carpet for the Eagle "two door" doesn't fit the SX4 worth a #%@# especially the seat area on back. Radical cuts needed with carpet tape (that doesn't stick with the corners and turns needed)

4 wheel drive Gremlins - I saw one in SD - it was put on a Jeep chassis if I recall - full-framed. That was my guess, drove past it on a highway up there. Lots of work but rather cool. 

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2019 at 11:12am
I will be checking out MacGyver's post about his seat experience - I just got a fast glance last night late but think it may bear merging into the seat discussion I started - and specify that the post I made may apply mostly to SX4 - which was the intent because it is the closest relative to the Spirit. 
He's got pictures and info there worth saving as we've been asked before about "what seats will fit" and what will not. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by MacGyver MacGyver wrote:

Quote Don't forget the original post was NOT about Spirit, which is decidedly different than Hornet and Gremlin of the early years for each.
Of course!!  That's why I said that I couldn't speak for a Gremlin, and also apologized for hijacking the thread!!

Quote So, you are running with only three anchor points?
Quote Doable but personally it's not where I'd go.

NO!!  Of course not!!
There is NO way I would compromise the safety of anyone traveling in my car!!!
I find it a bit insulting that you would assume so!!!

I've read your thread about Eagle vs Spirit seats...
I know you spent a lot of time documenting the differences between them!
But it just doesn't jive with how I was able put Spirit seats in an Eagle with one simple bracket modification!

It's a locked thread, so I couldn't ask you any questions there!
So I started a new thread with the exact same subject name, hoping you might reply, but you never did....

Please insult me on that thread, not this one!

Again, I apologize to the original poster, for getting things so far off track!!

Mac.

I don't think there was an insult coming from billd. Really, billd comes off pretty straight forward with his facts, and wont deviate until proven otherwise. Thus he may come off a wee harshly because of it. Though, its when someone states the wrong way or a not so safe method, as being a way to do things, he will clearly try to stop it in its tracks when noticed.

From past experiences, he questions in background as he processes through the facts first. Low and behold, he will grasp all angles, and may even change his mind a time or two.

Even though your info does not pertain to the thread directly, nobody should fully discount sharing the various modification options on AM small body cars. Some things are clearer with closely matched years on bodies than others.

Though the only question that makes me wonder, but is just out of curiosity... is, the lack of fender rub, billd has explained. The only thing i can fathom, is that Eagle has a different suspension hump angle or wee change for the 4x4 needs of the body.

I learned from my suspension mod thread, that a minor change to move the angle of the spring, by pushing the UCA out 1" at the bottom end of the suspension hump, so it will allow the spring to kick out near the hub, and relieve some pivot angle at the spring saddle. Most 4x4 trucks have some extra spring angle (compared to cars), on higher rate lift, bigger wheels and tires, as the lower arm is more angled down, the UCA must move further down as well.

Not saying that is exactly that, but the humps position in any direction within limits, may allow for less rub on modding small body cars, when converting over to Jeep Eagle front clip.

There may not be any changes by the factory on Jeep Eagle suspension humps, compared to AM car bodys, but just saying what I suspect from my findings with my mods.

Not stating any facts, but making thoughts to why rub is less of an issue when modding a small body car in such away.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2019 at 12:15pm
dude - the wheel base width is interesting on Eagle - when lining up my ramps I have to account for the WIDER front wheel span compared to the rear so am working on the outside half of the ramps for the front wheels while the rears track more to the center or inner parts of the ramps. Because of the CSV joints JUST inside the SAI line (the line through the center of the upper joint straight down to the center of the lower joint)  When I say JUST inside, it's almost not - it's about in the SAI line as well. That way when you turn the joint is flexing close to center. Anyway, to do this, the hubs have to protrude quite a bit outward - to allow that joint to about intersect the SAI line through the ball joiints. This means the front wheels are moved OUTWARD from the ball joints. That means when you turn, the front wheels actually make a pretty fair OUTWARD arc. They don't pivot on the tire, the tires swing out. There's a lot they had to stuff in there. It worked GREAT - but AMC soon found that the wider swing the Eagle front tires made rubbed on the fender. Now more folks say - you're full of it - they all LOOK FINE. Well, they DO unless you stick your head into the wheel well and look BEHIND the wheel well filler trim piece - that wide piece they designed to fill the gap when they raised the car. The tires pulled the edge or lip of the fender back to the middle of the car and rolled it around, not touching the outer trim or filler. So you'll never know unless you work on these cars like I have. The 80 I sold - ask Dave about the fender lips ahead of the front wheels. This is why AMC only used the concord fender one year - 1981 they switched fenders and opened that opening up a fair amount. (I have a post about the fenders)
In fact, they added 1.5" to the front of the opening meaning the fender from front edge to wheel well opening is 1.5" LESS. So trim and other stuff won't work, either. 
1.5" is a lot - AMC must have had some troubles to make that change - especially a 1.5" change. 

As far as insult - no, you are correct - and MAYBE, just MAYBE, getting to know me a bit more. I was curious, wondering, and didn't see how it was FINALLY resolved.

........ and try to type that fast and keep up and make any sense......
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2019 at 12:49pm
Billd, having no clue to where the rub hits the inner finder... where is it mostly located? Front, rear?

There is one part i left out on modding... assuming, if one does it, and is highly doubtful on small bodies. To remove front of the wheel arc tire rub, one can modify upper control arm placement 1" towards the firewall.

My guess, if the requirements for Eagles needed some additional geometery, there would be one of three different changes only on 81 on up eagles.

These changes would be one of the following... a different suspension hump, or a different panel between suspension hump and firewall, or different UCA.

All the parts would have their own different part number aside from AM cars.

The easiest way to eliminate changes done to the body panels, the first two listed in possible changes. Is to measure and compare suspension hump at the UCA bolt to the firewall, between both Eagle and Hornet or Spirit. If there no change, then UCA may be different if Jeep required the change on the Eagle. But if UCA part numbers are the same between Spirit and Eagle, then there was no additional changes done to the body panels for the suspension travel on Eagles.

Meaning billds information on tire rub should hold true on Spirit and Hornet bodies, when converting to Eagle suspension and drive train.

Just pointing out thoughts as to the possiblity of small body AM cars not having tire rub, since the areas i pointed out could be over looked for argument sake. For what i know, such changes would be additional production cost, that engineers figured was not necessary, compared to a fender change.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2019 at 1:26pm
When turning the wheels swing out wide forward. The rub was the front part of the wheel opening. It literally rolled the lip back at the FRONT of the wheel opening. With larger tires I bet it really caught badly, stock tires likely just enough to bend that fender flange in and forward as the wheel swung INWARD.

In this picture my yellow line and hand-drawn line represent the CONCORD and SPIRIT fender and the 1980 Eagle (ONE YEAR ONLY) fender. 
This picture shows the back side of an EAGLE fender - the part IN FRONT of or ahead of the wheel. 
Again, the yellow is where Concord and Spirit would be. The right part of the fender in the photo is the front of the car. 
This is a RIGHT fender for an SX4 that I patched by attaching an unrusted small section onto an unrusted fender that had rust and damage ahead of the wheel. (so I made a rust-free fender)

Again, the yellow represents the Concord and Spirit wheel opening ahead of the wheel, right is front of car, left is rear of car so you are looking at the BACK of the fender and the right front wheel opening is on the left of the photo.  This area shown is 1.5" more narrow than the Concord or Spirit fender. 

The yellow arrow points to the lip that gets literally folded back inward and ahead as the tire pushes  in and forward as you turn. This lip if shown on a 1980 Eagle fender would be folded or rolled back and pushed ahead. You don't see it though because that large wheel well trim covers this lip.

Edited by billd - Jun/14/2019 at 1:28pm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2019 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

When turning the wheels swing out wide forward. The rub was the front part of the wheel opening. It literally rolled the lip back at the FRONT of the wheel opening. With larger tires I bet it really caught badly, stock tires likely just enough to bend that fender flange in and forward as the wheel swung INWARD.

In this picture my yellow line and hand-drawn line represent the CONCORD and SPIRIT fender and the 1980 Eagle (ONE YEAR ONLY) fender. 
This picture shows the back side of an EAGLE fender - the part IN FRONT of or ahead of the wheel. 
Again, the yellow is where Concord and Spirit would be. The right part of the fender in the photo is the front of the car. 
This is a RIGHT fender for an SX4 that I patched by attaching an unrusted small section onto an unrusted fender that had rust and damage ahead of the wheel. (so I made a rust-free fender)

Again, the yellow represents the Concord and Spirit wheel opening ahead of the wheel, right is front of car, left is rear of car so you are looking at the BACK of the fender and the right front wheel opening is on the left of the photo.  This area shown is 1.5" more narrow than the Concord or Spirit fender. 

The yellow arrow points to the lip that gets literally folded back inward and ahead as the tire pushes  in and forward as you turn. This lip if shown on a 1980 Eagle fender would be folded or rolled back and pushed ahead. You don't see it though because that large wheel well trim covers this lip.

Ah, i had a feeling the front arch would be rubbed. That is why i brought up the mod for placing uca back, though 1" may not totally correct it on hornet and spirit fenders. The trouble that keeps one from making a change to the uca position, is that the hump and other components need moved and modded. But, since the front clip will be replaced, the extra work and all would be something to add in the 4x4 setup. Though there is too little room in the small car body to shift things about, like i have started on with the bigger bodied Javelin.

Gosh billd, it took me three replies to think of this... JavJav has been working on tubular upper control arms, similar to Control Freaks... if his incorporates upper ball joint location changes to place positive castor at the upper ball joint, instead of it all at the strut rod. It may help with such an Eagle front end swap to other small bodies. Though it may be limited in fully resolving the rubbing issue, but is better than allowing it to its full potential on damage to the fender lip.

Maybe you can test a set on your SX/4 for how the wheel and tires kick out on turns under the wheel arch... I assume the kickout will be more centered in the arch, and have less of an issue, though you have an 81, and you prefer to keep it mostly stock.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2019 at 2:47pm
My red baby is 82......  I currently have an 83 in my shop to rebuild the brakes and front end, and get that stupid 1980 engine someone put in it connected CORRECTLY, installing a NOS engine bay wiring harness and rebuilding the interior. 

Now the fun part - next month I am likely getting ANOTHER SX4 for MY stable of AMCs. 
I know it needs front brake line work - unsure if it's hoses or lines or both - but the brakes are gone, the guy said the front brakes need lines, so take that for what it's worth. 
When I dig into it all bets are off other than I MUST maintain it as an automatic due to my wife's handicap and license restriction requiring an automatic, power steering and power windows (don't even tell her that she can't drive a stick, though, she drove my 1936 F20 and my Jeep Comanche which was a T5 - but the law would nail her little butt if she was caught)

So I don't know what work the other SX4 needs other than brake work - lines and/or hoses, don't know condition of steering or suspension. It HAD BEEN a daily driver up until a few years ago. It's been parked a couple of years.  It's 258 automatic, I may change that to a 4.0 so my wife can drive it more easily - fuel injection, etc.
But the 4x4 stuff WILL STAY IN PLACE and be maintained as is. No stupid straight axle, no cutting and chopping, if it won't bolt in, it ain't gonna happen. These cars are RARE as it is and the value keeps going up (slowly, but up none-the-less) 

Anyway, no worries on any 1981 and later Eagle because AMC fixed that little fender bobble by adding MORE than enough clearance for the tires on turns. 1.5" is generous considering it just didn't clear and it wasn't off by any 1.5".  
Good grief, that will mean THREE Eagles on my property again until I get the blue one finished for the lady. Then there will be two - both mine. 
All I need to do with my red baby is rebuild/restore the front differential and put CORRECT springs in it so it's not so high that it shoves the shocks outward and stresses those CV joints.  They run at a steep angle as it is. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2019 at 3:28pm
Ah, 82... after you refreshed my mind, doh! Where did I get 81? Explaining 81 on up alot from you probably made 81 pop out of my head.

Dont mind my nattering about figuring out what can relieve the fender issues with Hornet or other small body cars when swapping out with Eagle components. Just trying to help with ideas on that part for those now learning about fender rub due to how the steering travels with the cv.

Not sure if the CV will get overly abused by the upper ball joint move on the UCA with modded Hornet/Spirit bodies, but thats why i popped the idea about testing how the change effects the steering, and of all things... i bet you probably would test the suspension and cv angles while your looking, thus no additions when stating my first thought.

Many things are a given with you, from my prospective. It use to suprise me, now I have come to not question your processes. You rarely leave much for anyone to fill in the blanks, unless you ask directly. Hehehehehehehe!

Glad to see you found another addition... it must be pretty good, not to pass up, especially after all the rusted out ones you shared, and from your neck of the woods.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic