TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Front end similarities hornet/concorde/eagle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2019 at 10:39pm
You guys certainly like to analyze stuff more than I care to!!

I'm with Tom and Frank...  I just sort of went with what I know about AMC being the kings of interchangeability, and assumed that they wouldn't make two completely different floor pans and two completely different seat frames on what was basically the exact same platform for all Eagle models....

I can only speak from my own experience....
I took what seemed like hundreds of measurements, and tons of pictures of both car's floor pans and crossmember mounting points for comparison before I even chalked out a cut or drilled out a single spot weld on either car!!

After I DID cut, the Eagle transmission tunnel dropped right on the Spirit floor like a glove!!

You Drive A What?!?
MacGyver View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2019 at 10:45pm
You'll notice in that pic, that I even left a couple of tabs on my cut that kept the original seat mounting holes....
They lined up too...

After that whole piece was welded in, the Spirit seats (without that bracket extension) bolted right in just like (I assumed) AMC intended!!

The seats aren't too high...  Too low...
They sit in the car exactly like they did when they were in the Spirit!!

Don't know what to tell you....   It worked for me....

Mac.
You Drive A What?!?
MacGyver View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2019 at 11:02pm
As for the fender dimensions...
Yes...   I would love to have an extra 1-1/2" for bigger tires!!
(I measured the difference at 1" myself...  But maybe I wasn't accurate enough?)

Every Eagle I've had, I could run 215-75-15's with minimal rubbing with original saggy springs!!
This car I was stuck with 205's because, yes, the 215's wanted to destroy the fenders!

In the interest of full disclosure, I did dial back the caster a tad to minimalize any rubbing issues...  
Again...   I'm sorry if it doesn't work on paper....
It worked for me...

And I think it turned out darn nice!!!

You Drive A What?!?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2019 at 11:09pm
It should - because as I pointed out - the seats have the same mounting points save for the front center on each seat. To do that the floor pans would have to be at least very similar if not the same in the other three mounting points for each seat, same relative horizontal plane as well as vertical plane otherwise the other three mounting points would have to be different. Since the only difference is the height of the brackets (slight difference in height only) and the front tunnel mount, that tells us the floors of the Spirit and Eagle are pretty similar - the same in most spots. 
But again, we're talking Spirit and Eagle........ 
Dash is the same - showing the firewalls at or near the top are the same (minor differences for clutch cylinder mounting point), sill plates interchange across two door models, hoods, hatch, side glass..... same. 
the two door sedan seems to be different from the hatchback models - carpet for a sedan doesn't fit a hatchback for !##!. Not even close behind the middle of the front seats. (carpet fitting in an Eagle is a pain to begin with but add to that the limited options and it's no fun at all)

I've pointed out the seat frame - mounting rails differences, they are different as can be seen in the photos. Spirit vs. Eagle - lower frame is quite different in shape, etc.. 

Look at the photos again and tell me the Eagle seat outer mounting provision isn't taller - and the frame height different, the shape of the frame different. Yeah, they DID make different seats. Can you make them work - yeah. But they aren't the same. The outer mount of the Eagle had to change to raise the seat up enough to clear the tunnel! If you put that Eagle seat in a Spirit it would sit a bit higher. 
They had to change the seat frame and make the outboard mount taller or the seat couldn't have cleared the tunnel. The seat BACKS are identical - one will transfer directly to the other (assuming same seat type) but I found the seat bottom upholstery is a bit different for Eagle, the lower edge and trim a bit different due to the height in the car. I have NOS Eagle upholstery and I have Spirit seat parts - and they don't interchange well. 

But again - this was never about Spirit or the later AMCs, it was about the earlier cars - a different car - the Gremlin.   
We were never asked about Spirit...........
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2019 at 11:23pm
Fenders - I laid one over the other, took many measurements as I was trying to determine the differences to see if a NOS Concord/Spirit fender I had could be easily fit to a NON-1980 Eagle.
Nope. Too much difference. I had both side-by-side, on top of each other. That's how I came up with the differences. I even wondered about some creative cutting, etc.

No one is saying your car/project didn't turn out fine - or even better than fine. Just that in the interest of facts, parts comparisons and so on  people come here to do research, find out what interchanges, what doesn't, what differences are - so the fender thing is a HUGE discussion now and then in the Eagle forums and FB pages. It keeps coming up so I decided to settle it - here are the fender facts, the how and why, what years work, don't work and why. 

I guess you have the only 1980 Eagle SX4 in existence - you could fool a lot of folks because it has the 1980 only bumper and bumper trim style on an SX4 type car. 

Here is a small stack of fenders I was comparing - Concord and Eagle. I had several of each in my garage and took them into my shop for detailed measurements....... I put them up on stands and saw horses and spent a ton of time measuring.
I still have a number of used and NOS body parts hanging on walls - quarter panels, fenders and so on...

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2019 at 11:32pm
PS - this needs to be said directly - MacGyver did a bang-up job on that floor and the car looks really nice from here. Pretty cool. It's a car on my bucket list to see in person, honestly. To transplant a floor piece like that is no small feat and it looks sharp. 
Much better than those who take a decent Eagle and hack it to bits to make a Spirit out of it - ugh, what a waste. If ya want a Spirit, BUY a bloody Spirit but don't hack up a rare car to make one. On the other hand - salvaging Eagle parts like this - gotta say, pretty cool and a ton of work to be sure. 
So regardless of the technical back and forth - kudos. Nicely done - and thanks for the pic of the floor - that speaks nicely. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 12:54am
NICELY DONE!!! lol yes, you have to Become One with the metal to puzzle out, bassackwards, how cheapskate AMC saw things. they'll change the damndest-seeming things to avoid changing something that looks simple. you KNOW there must be a reason but the data's not in the metal or the TSM. it might have been in the rail container full of them still in stock, or something.

everything interchanges! except when it doesn't -- PACER. MATADOR. oopsie.

the 70s and 80s got very baroque to me, i know nothing of them. that you did this in that era is fairly amazing.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

MacGyver View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacGyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 8:23pm
Thanks for the kudos guys!!   That really means a lot to me!!

I need to mention, Bill...   In no way am I trying to discount or discredit your research, comparisons or measurements or any of that stuff!!
I know you spent a lot of time on that, and it's really good info for people looking into working on these cars!!

I sort of side stepped the SX/4 part of the equation, and used a wagon floor piece in my Spirit, so all bets are off after that, I guess!!  LOL!

I never even removed any of the seats (Eagle or Spirit) from their sliders, so in all honesty, the pics you posted are WAY deeper into the seats than I ever got!!

But it's THIS:
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

they'll change the damndest-seeming things to avoid changing something that looks simple.

This is exactly why I think I came off so harshly in the beginning!!!
It confuses me!!

WHY??   I just can not figure out why AMC would change the floor in just ONE model of the Eagle, AND manufacture a completely different seat base to accommodate that change!?!
Why would they???   I like Tom's term of "cheapskate AMC"!! Wink
It doesn't really make sense for a company that had been pinching pennys for years to do such a thing!!!

Would that not add to the cost of manufacture??
I guess we'll never know!!!
You Drive A What?!?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2019 at 6:20am
They generally didn't change much, just what HAD to be changed to make a meaningful alteration. I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagle and Concord floors weren't the same die with an addition laid inside the Concord floor die to make the Eagle floor. Might be two different dies, but wouldn't be hard to make an insert for the additional hump in the Eagle and stamp a run of floors, then remove and stamp Concord floors. Makes me wonder if they did that or ponied up the dough for a second die!

The main issue with fenders is replacements. I suspect AMC stamped Concord fenders then had a second die that just altered the wheel opening and flared the fenders, but that's just a guess. It would be a lot of work to hand alter a fender now, but if you had a big press and die and a fresh off the press non-painted fender to work with... 

Again, this alteration work for the Eagle is pure speculation on my part. They made enough Eagles over the eight year run that a couple Eagle specific dies for the floor panel with the hump and a whole fender die would have made sense. That's only two Eagle body specific dies, which is just a drop in the bucket for all the body dies needed. Of course there are a few other body stampings that are Eagle specific, but as noted by all most of the body stampings are shared with Concord.
Frank Swygert
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2019 at 7:33am
I just want to say that I fell victim to the fender differences myself too! Bought a bare NOS fender at the last Homecoming show and thought it would work on my Concord. Turned out to be an Eagle fender. So.. I have an NOS Eagle fender to trade for a bare/really nice Concord fender to anyone interested! 

Sigh.... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic