TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 AMX brake conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 AMX brake conversion
    Posted: Jun/09/2019 at 10:25am
I am removing the drum brakes and putting Wilwood disc brakes on my 1970 AMX drag car - are the spindles the same for drum or disc? If I need different spindles, does anybody have a pair? Thank you, Dean cell 701-205-6906
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2019 at 11:08am
This thread will help you... http://theamcforum.com/forum/wilwood-vs-aerospace-disc-brakes_topic87802.html

As for spindle, there are differences. Drum spindles have a taller foot to mount on thh knuckle, which can be machined down to the proper clearance for disc. From what i gather big spindles cannot use Wilwood, and most likely it will not be a concern unless you opt to by a set of disc spindles without verification.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2019 at 11:18am
The spindles are different disc to drum.  I have a "small car" set of disc spindles I'd let go, I'm not sure what your AMX takes.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2019 at 3:54pm
Those are some sticky tires.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2019 at 7:10am
The difference in the spindles is all in the height of the mount bosses, all other dimensions are the same. You can either use longer grade 8 bolts and spacers (grade 8 washers) or machine the bosses down if too tall. Test mount the brakes first, then determine what you need to center the calipers. With Wilwood brakes you can also use a different depth hat for the rotor and/or shims on the caliper.

AMC used one size spindle (as far as the spindle itself -- where the bearrings/hub ride) for drum and disc brakes with one exception. From 75-78 a larger bearing and matching spindle was used on all cars. Most of these were larger Bendix sliding caliper brakes (3.1" piston, commonly called "Big Bendix"), but 77-78 small cars used that same spindle/bearing set with 2.6" Bendix sliding calipers. Rotors for these are hard to come by and expensive when found.
Frank Swygert
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2019 at 8:14am
is that a picture form the big movie?
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2019 at 10:30am
When I go to the Wilwood Website, they have a pull down menu for drum spindles or disc spindles. When drum is selected, they don't show any kits available. When disc is selected, they show 11" and 12" kits available.

Based on this, I would think that your drum spindles will need to be reworked or replaced as described above.
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2019 at 11:05am
All that means is Wilwood hasn't tested any of their products using a drum brake test car. If it fits with the old Bendix four piston (66-70 discs) it should fit with a drum spindle. AFAIK the Bendix four piston setup used a drum spindle. Note that the disc adapter spaced the spindle out 3/8-1/2" though. I don't know how thick the Wilwood mount is, so shims/spacers may be required.

I just did realize this was for a drag car, not a street car. I'd check out the Aerospace Industries solid race discs. They are lighter than the others. Partly because they aren't intended to make repeated stops and don't heat up as much as street or road racing brakes would. Nothing wrong with solid rotors -- the Bendix four piston used solid rotors on the street. While not ideal, they were still better than drums and take a lot of stopping to heat up to the point that they fade, twice what drums would take.
Frank Swygert
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2019 at 8:54pm
Dean, do you guys still race in Sabin or is there a strip in Fargo now?
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
easydean View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2019 at 9:52pm
Sabin - new owners - they added a drift track and are building shops as well. Track prep is much, much improved as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic