TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T-5 X Member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gremlin401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-5 X Member
    Posted: Jun/12/2019 at 8:38pm
Photos would be nice as well.
blue68AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue68AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2019 at 3:02pm
Just completed a T5 conversion in my 70 AMX and it was easier to just fab up a crossmember than to modify the factory one. Very simple all steel angle iron, This also allows you to take care of the 15 degree angle on the transmission mount on the T5. Used a 70 Ford Mustang transmission mount to connect the crosmember to the transmission. Let me know if you would like some photo's
Al

70 AMX 72 V8 Gremlin X
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2019 at 11:34am
I used an AMC T5 and had to notch the x-member to clearance the "bump" in the tailshaft housing. Had to go 2 inches deep by 4 or 5 inches wide. Didn't take much.

Probably should have boxed it in but,  no welder....
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2019 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Gremlin401 Gremlin401 wrote:

I need help on installing a T-5 in a '76 Gremlin. Will I need a new cross member? If not, can I use the original one with new mounts? I'm not having much luck looking on Google. I know speedway motors offers several styles of universal cross members for the Gremlin. 

I'm using the stock AMC crossmember in my Gremlin. You'll still need the support/cushion that's specific to the T-5, but it should bolt up to the stock AMC cross member with little to no modification.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2019 at 6:00am
Don't know about the Gremlin but a T10 bolts in so the T5 should as well.
 On a Javelin:
1) the original cross member can be used but you have to use the T5 transmission mount (transmission bolts in on a slight angle) and fabricate a short 1/4" plate (3"x 6"x 1/4") and drill to match bolt holes from the cross member to the T5 transmission mount. or
2) fabricate your own transmission mount (this takes much more machining).  
Gremlin401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2019 at 7:54pm
I need help on installing a T-5 in a '76 Gremlin. Will I need a new cross member? If not, can I use the original one with new mounts? I'm not having much luck looking on Google. I know speedway motors offers several styles of universal cross members for the Gremlin. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic