TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need help to get trans to motor bolts out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2019 at 10:13pm
 Hey guys thanks for all the info. I finally wrestled it out of the poor gremlins. Only good thing left on it is the glass. I'm one of those "anything can be saved" guys. But this poor car doesn't have enough metal left to even make patch panels out of it. 

I don't think this tranny was original to this car. The hole for the shifter looks like some one cut it out with a hammer and a screwdriver.  It's got a really interesting shifter rid set up on the side of it. Never seen one like this before. All the ones ive seen are either top loaders or the ones like the ford T5's. Where they're furthe back on the transmission but the stick is the only external part.
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2019 at 10:17pm
Sorry about the pic being upside down. They always do that here. Doesn't matter how I have it oriented on my computer. But yeah if you guys know what tranny it is let me know. The more knowledge I can soak up the better. And if you happen to know where to get a rebuild kit for that would be even more awesome. Lol thanks in advance
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2019 at 10:30pm
What does the trans cover look like? Thats often a clue as to the model of transmission.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2019 at 11:16pm
It looks like the automobile T-14 to me.  Not a -T150, but I can't see the cover plate bolts well enough to count them.  1975 would have been a year when either the T-14 or T-150 could have been used maybe.  My 1975 pacer has a T-150 and my 76 Gremlin has a T-14.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2019 at 12:28am
How many cover bolts are there on them? I can count them tomorrow.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2019 at 8:52am
my 1974 Gremlin has the T14. The T 150 was in the later 1974 cars. I have the 1974 tsm supplement saying so.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2019 at 6:58pm
The T-14 has a 6 bolt side cover,   the T150 has a 8 bolt top cover,  with the front 2 bolts closer together.

With it that dirty, it's impossible to pick out any details in a picture.

What little I can see of the shifter,  it looks like the shifter on the T150 I took out of a 77 Gremlin.

Novak has a good site to ID transmissions from,   but every transmission they show will be as they were installed in a 4WD,   and will look different from the 2WD car installed versions.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jun/07/2019 at 7:03pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2019 at 7:24pm
The Novak site makes it look like both the T150 and T14 have a top loaded shifter. The one the OP has isn't like that though  - it has external levers.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2019 at 7:54pm
Like I said the Novak site only has pictures of the transmissions as they would be installed in a 4wds.

The installed both T14s and T150 in cars also. 
I've had one of each,  they looked nothing like the pictures on the Novak site.
The 2WD versions had different output shafts,  and tailhousings.
But a lot of other parts are interchangeable between the 2wd and 4wd versions.

Both had top covers,  just plain steel,  no shifter on the top.
They had side shift levers, which you can see the provision for as castings on the top shifted models.

I've seen a T-14 2WD version,  that someone, ( not the factory ) put a top shifter from a 4WD  on it.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2019 at 10:52pm
This does have a top cover on it. The shifter Assembly is mounted to the Side of the tail shaft. Ironically i have a four wheel T-150 down at my mother in-laws garage. I pulled it out of a Cj 5 I had. 

Unfortunately(in this case anyhow) I've left for a weeks vacation at Yellowstone National Park.  So I didn't get to count bolts or get better pics. I'll do that as soon as I get back. 

I know the T-150s and it's four speed cousin the T-176 are considered buy the jeep guys to be pretty tough and bullet proof. Is the 2 wheel version the same? I'm rebuilding a 360 to go in the and this 3 speed will be going behind it for now. I'm planning to swap it out later with a tranny that has more gears in it.

I'm not planning on abusing this tranny by doing burn outs but I'm hoping that this isn't going to self destruct behind the 360 under normal driving conditions. Any thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic