TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

lowering front of a spirit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2019 at 1:49pm
thank you for all your responses gentlemen! I have an extra set of coils, (from an 84 Eagle sedan) so I can experiment a bit, and always put it back to stock if need be.
On the UnclJohn thing, did he mean 1/2 a coil, or as written, just a 1/2 INCH off the end?
thanks, gz
george z
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by amcfool1 amcfool1 wrote:

thank you for all your responses gentlemen! I have an extra set of coils, (from an 84 Eagle sedan) so I can experiment a bit, and always put it back to stock if need be.
On the UnclJohn thing, did he mean 1/2 a coil, or as written, just a 1/2 INCH off the end?
thanks, gz

1/2 of a coil removed.

Sorry, i will check my reply and correct. I noticed my fractions will have the inch added, from past entrys being part of spell check.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2019 at 8:03pm
The fronts of many looked high not because they were but because leaf springs were soft and dropped even after only a few years. 
I solved the issue with my 70 Javelin with NEW rear springs - and original heavy-duty front springs. Now she sits great. 
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2019 at 11:46pm
Bill and others have posted that cutting coils is less than ideal.
Makes the springs stiffer which makes them harsher and they extend less.
Also has a detrimental effect on front suspension geometry at neutral load.
Lowering plates avoid those compromises and maintain original at-rest geometry.
Full length weaker springs, more coils, smaller wire, less harsh, more stored energy, improved launch weight transfer.
That's how I understood it, but could be wrong, put used 6-Cyl Javelin Front Coils in my street strip AMX
and brand new Rear Leaf Springs, twice actually, over about 30 years...

amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 6:37am
hi, ok, lowering plates are option #2. Does anyone make/sell these, for a 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" drop, or does one need to fabricate a set?
So far, in my research, cutting springs may be ok, lowering plates may be better? 
Thing is, I have extra springs, I don't have lowering plates :)
thanks, gz
george z
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 9:30am
Originally posted by amcfool1 amcfool1 wrote:

hi, ok, lowering plates are option #2. Does anyone make/sell these, for a 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" drop, or does one need to fabricate a set?
So far, in my research, cutting springs may be ok, lowering plates may be better? 
Thing is, I have extra springs, I don't have lowering plates :)
thanks, gz
No one commercially makes the lowering plates, however there are several members that have made them, myself included. I used 1/2" 4140 steel when I made mine. The nature of how they have to made to bolt on dictates that the least amount of drop you can make them for is 1-5/8". You can get more drop if you increase the distance between the 4 center holes on the lowering plate, however I have never known of anyone that did this. Now the part you might not be interested in.  When using lowering plates (Effectively moving the spindle up in relationship to the ground)  they will cause your track width to increase a 1/2" per side. So your overall front track width will increase 1.00". If you look around on the forum you'll find the thread that has the blueprint you need to make them, as well as, many more threads where guys have installed them. 

Tom
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 11:24am
You tell me. How does this look?

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 2:11pm
So...If I have this right...

Lowering the front of your spirit would raise your spirits?

[Be sure to tip your bartenders and waitresses...I'm here all week...]

Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 2:25pm
One nice thing about AMC front suspension is all the springs physically interchage. Gives you lots of options with stock parts. Lighter car springs will sit lower, and vice versa. You can also play with spring rates a lot if you choose, use a heavier car and cut a coil. Drag race stuff allows you to lower the front while lowering the rate.
With the Hornet when it was on the street I went to Javlin springs to stop beating up the headers, then when it became race only kept going to lighter springs as the weight came off. In the end I was using 4 cyl springs.
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 9:12pm
hi, if I'm following the logic here, V8 guys put in 6 cyl springs to drop the front. So it follows that 6 cyl guys can use 4 cyl springs to get a drop, ceteris paribus. (All other things being equal) :)
This may be option #3.
thanks, gz

anyway, I'm currently Evaporusting/refinishing my spare set of coils, since they're here and paid for, so may try that first. Good to know there are other options.  Thanks, gz
george z
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic