TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

lowering front of a spirit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lowering front of a spirit
    Posted: May/28/2019 at 5:34am
hi, just got my 79 Spirit back from paint shop car looks great. However, as with a lot of Amcs it sits a little nose high, not much, but enough, maybe an inch. I don't want to lift the rear, or "slam" the car in any way, just level it out (its a 50k original mile car)
What are my options?
cut  1/2 of a coil out of front springs?
or...???

wheels will be the factory Turbocast IIs (14x7)   215/60/14  front, 235/60/14 rear   
thanks, gz
george z
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2019 at 10:57pm
is the front really high? or is the low rear from sagging springs? they are 30 years old.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2019 at 12:25pm
hi, I think the front is where its supposed to be, the rears LOOK ok, yes they are 40 years old, but car has only 52k original miles.  lot of AMCs seemed a little nose high when new. I guess I could get new rear springs and rearch them 1/2" or so over stock, but they ain't broken, so I don't want to fix them:). plus I like the rear ride height.
thanks for responding! gz
george z
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2019 at 1:22pm
The rear springs sag on Spirit models.Then later on when you drag race the passenger side snaps.Makes a bang inside the car you will never forget
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2019 at 1:40pm
You could drop the nose 1 5/8" with lowering plates. Probably give your Sprit it a nice stance!!
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2019 at 10:50pm
Mine was nose high, i cut 1 loop out of the springs, lowered about 1-1/2ins.

71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
Phitown Hustler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phitown Hustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2019 at 3:28am
Cut the coils. I went with 1 coil on newer springs but you could start with 1/2 coil.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2019 at 4:31am
In the wise words of the late UnclJohn, cut off 1/2 coil. I think he is the 1st person that have heard this from, from way back in starting here.

Though, be sure your rear leafs are good, or at least the right height your happy with.

Edited by 304-dude - May/30/2019 at 2:09pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2019 at 6:07am
Originally posted by AMXRWB AMXRWB wrote:

...later on when you drag race the passenger side snaps.Makes a bang inside the car you will never forget

Heard that!
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2019 at 10:33am
I too noticed my '79 Gt was sitting high and like you said, this was standard stance on most AMCs. Since I had the driver's fender off, the spring was visible. So I took my Dremel and cut off one bottom loop. Let me caution you that I did this with the wheel off and the lower arm hanging in mid air. This lessened the tension on the spring. Watch where you put your hands and especially your fingers. I had to use several cut off wheel but it did a fine job. When the loop cam off, I had to cut it in half to get it out. One loop was perfect! And it sat exactly where the original end sat in the perch. Did the other side the same way but with the fender on.

I had put 15" Turbocast wheels on the back so I needed a little lift so I added air shocks (here comes the naysayers) and took the rear up 3/4" just enough to get fender well clearance.

Hope this helps.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic