TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can someone post a picture of the vacuum advance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can someone post a picture of the vacuum advance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by tom999q tom999q wrote:

Is that spark CTO switch the thing that goes in the thermostat housing? My housing doesn't have a hole for it. 

No, it does not have any temp control, The ambient temp switch electical connection controls it.

It is placed on the coil bracket mount. With the electrical connector and vacuum connection facing driver side. Vent filter side has the nipple to distributor advance.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 12:59pm
Oh, ok thanks, I don't see that on alot of engine pictures on the internet. All I see on the coil bracket is a plastic spark plug wire loom. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 1:04pm

Oh, ok thanks, I don't see that on alot of engine pictures on the internet. 

Believe it or not... many forums and even here will have small discussions about disconnecting and using a straight connection to the advance. In other words, hardly any effort in restoration. Mainly because these original type solinoids are no longer being produced, and difficult to find in working condition. This type was last used on 73 AMC engines. 74 on up used two ports on the same side, while this one is a port on each side.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 1:28pm
Can you post a picture of it, or post a link to an online picture of how it looks connected? 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 1:39pm

Can you post a picture of it, or post a link to an online picture of how it looks connected? 

My parts are loose, engine top end disassembled.

I no longer have the harness between the solinoid and the ambient temp switch. Basically the switch has the ports face to the sides of the engine bay, with connector facing the drivers side. The wee square vent filter facing the passenger side valve cover.

I had posted the solenoid as for its overall apperience.

These things are small and burried by wires and what not on most engine pictures. Few if any take a picture of how it looks all setup, but a few who have restored their cars do have a library. You could put out a request on the restoration section, for a picture of the vacuum solenoid mounted with connections for 71 to 73. Mostlikely they will send a pm for privacy.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 1:46pm
How about a quick pencil sketch, could you draw one up and post it? I have lots of engine pictures I've gathered from the internet but most of them are not correct because nobody restores engines to factory stock anymore. 
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 4:01pm
Keep in mind that the TCS and CTO switchs, & other emissions parts, were not used on all engines. Some engines used those parts, some used them only with a particular transmission, & some did not use them at all. If you outfit your 71 360 2V 3 speed manual transmission engine with the emissions parts off of a 71 304 2V automatic you will most likely have incorrect parts.

Buy a 1971 AMC technical service manual, and the master parts catalog & start doing your research.

Edited by scott - May/18/2019 at 4:04pm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Keep in mind that the TCS and CTO switchs, & other emissions parts, were not used on all engines. Some engines used those parts, some used them only with a particular transmission, & some did not use them at all. If you outfit your 71 360 2V 3 speed manual transmission engine with the emissions parts off of a 71 304 2V automatic you will most likely have incorrect parts.

Buy a 1971 AMC technical service manual, and the master parts catalog & start doing your research.

Scott, the OP replied back earlier that he had the ambient temp switch, when asked about it being located on the upper radiator support.

So with that, I expected his car to have a cto setup, since the ambient temprature switch is only used in conjuction with the vacuum solenoid for CTO function.

I understand about various differences with engine tranny combos, just its been a wee confusing with how many questions by both parties, were being given in his threads... but I am sure the heat diverter valve is part of the exhaust system for faster heat up and choke function.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 4:30pm
Another variable I forgot to mention. California cars had the same emissions setup across all engines in 1971, unlike the cars that went to the other states.

Yes, it is not easy to find information on the emissions systems on these cars, I've gone thru it on a 1970 390 manual transmission. The service manual & parts book are a great resource.

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 4:46pm

Edited by scott - May/18/2019 at 4:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic