TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

72 javelin front grill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 javelin front grill
    Posted: May/15/2019 at 8:44pm
Is there some secret procedure for removing the very flimsy headlamp bucket surrounds and the grill without havng to pull the bumper or prying the thing out with screwdrivers?  I had a helluva time getting mine out and had to flex a couple of those parts that are already sunbaked and crispy and I dont want to have to force them back into place. The lamp surrounds for sure.  That lower drip rail at the bottom of the plastic grill that fits under the bumper was a pain.

Moocho thanks.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 8:59pm
You may be able to remove the fender, and then remove the doors and buckets. Though it will require removing the front valence, which is a pain for some to do with the grill in place.

Can't remember the procedure for both 71 and 73, as I think I removed the valence first on both. Which makes fender removal along with the rest straight forward.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 3:33pm
You pretty much have to lower the bumper down because the grill has the bumper filler integrated into it as you've already noticed. Even the 73-74 grill has the same setup. It's a PITA for sure but if you don't want to destroy the brittle grill you have to do it. Sorry for the bad news.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 5:53pm
Its an evil catch 22!  its hard to get to the inner bumper bolts with the grill in the way, but you cant (without prying the crap out of it) get the grill out of the way without moving the bumper, and the spoiler and the outer and inner bumper supports.  The bumper is straight, but out of alignment with the nose on each side, so it coming off was already part of the plan.  ThanksClap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic