TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wagner brake parts, 65 Classic. NLA?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wagner brake parts, 65 Classic. NLA?
    Posted: May/15/2019 at 8:44pm
I have Wagner brakes on my 65. The rear fell apart tonight. Not sure what happened but one of the retainer pins came out and is MIA.

I can't find a listing for Wagner hardware....any ideas?
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 9:28pm
Your Wagner drum brakes will 'fall apart' when the self adjuster screws are inadvertently placed on the wrong side of the car: the self adjusting action will loosen the brakes instead of tightening the way they should.

I can help with parts.  ...those are rare brakes nowadays ...especially the hardware.

Note to anyone else reading this thread:

If your car lost it's original Wagner self adjuster screws, you may use Bendix self adjuster screw mechanisms instead, but they must be used on the opposite sides of the car* -where the screws marked 'R' are used on the driver side and the screws marked 'L' are used on the passenger side.

*Obviously, the original Wagner type self adjuster screws feature the opposite thread juxtaposed to the much more common Bendix type drum brakes which have self adjuster screws that turn the opposite direction.

The original Wagner hardware which is driver side specific is painted medium blue (L) (blue = L)

The Wagner hardware which is passenger side specific is painted medium red (R) (red = R)

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
DocLong View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 9:39pm
It appears all I need is shoes and the retainer pins that have the square clips. Not sure if there is a tension spring in there or not that pushes the shoe away from the backing plate...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic