TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

no dip stick!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Stev-o Stev-o wrote:

The car has headers and from what I've been told is they may have been in the way and either not installed or broke off.
The dipstick will fit with headers, but tends to get roughed up a little while installing the headers. It's possible a PO got lazy and didn't bother installing the tube thinking the headers would prevent installation. It's also possible they got a little too rough on the tube, while installing the headers, and it cracked, then fell off at a later date.

As already mentioned, the dipstick tube is an interference fit in the block. The tubes currently available seem to have an overabundance of interference and can be nearly impossible to install with the engine in the car. There are a few threads in this section on how people have solved the problem.

Check to see if there is a broken end of a tube stuck in the block. A popular removal method is to screw in a sheet metal screw and hammer on the underside of the screw head.

Earlier V8s had no upper support bracket for the tube. A bracket was added later (not sure what model year) that may or may not work with the headers used in your car.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
mark09 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 8:46am
Earlier heads did have support from a sheet metal heat shield . Later a tab was used when the shield was dropped. The tab works great with headers. 
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 11:47am
Buy the Bulltear dipstick and tube, and use the bracket.  They even worked with my '66 Gen II engine after I straightened out the bottom of the tube (the hole in the oil baffle was changed in '67 so it didn't cross over the oil pickup in the pan).

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 12:46pm
Using the valve cover bracket helps clock the dip stick tube so the dip stick passes through the oil pan baffle opening for the dip stick without bumping the oil pan baffle.

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - May/16/2019 at 12:49pm
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 12:55pm
a television show type build with misinformation? Shocking. And no dipstick to check the oil? Just as shocking. Not. 
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 4:16pm
The episodes where they built that car was on TV about a week ago, very early in the AM. I found it interesting that they bought the AMX from a gentleman by the name of Tony Lucas. Where have I heard that name before?
Stev-o View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev-o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Someassemblyrqd Someassemblyrqd wrote:

Re: the car - it said to have originally sold for $52.5K after the car was showcased in a two-part series on tv.   It was apparently sold to a second owner after the show.

Are you the third owner since the rebuilding?  How’s it holding up?  Happy with the quality of craftsmanship?

Tell us more.

Yes, it's the Misfit car.   I've watched the show a few weeks ago but dont recall the sales price on the show nor do I know who bought it.

My friend bought it last month when we went to the Mecum auction in Houston, I advised him to buy it if the bidding did not go over $30K. [After a little research, I valued the car at $40K]

https://www.mecum.com/lots/HA0419-373158/1968-amc-amx/ 

The car was delivered to Greg's ranch 3 days after the auction, the battery was DOA upon arrival. I advised him to install a new, spare battery that he had and the car has started and run great since.

Greg travels a lot, and since I help care for his cars, I can drive whichever car in his collection I desire so I told his I would "test" the AMX for him!   I had the car for about a week. It runs great, sounds good but not as quick as I hoped a rebuilt 390 would be, possibly due the automatic trans?  [I'm comparing it to my '70 Corvette with a 350/4spd]

I prolly only put about 125 miles on the car that week but encountered no issues, I love the car!
The fit and finish of the body is beautiful, the interior is also excellent. However, I wish the seat were recovered a little bit more like stock, but that is just me.

My biggest beef is no dipstick!  The last thing I want to do is blow this motor up due to no oil.  And the gauges dont work, but that is typical of a classic car 50 yrs old.  Tach must have gone out many years ago as someone put a cheesy tach mounted on the dash [it doesnt operate correctly either]

Weather permitting, I may get the car this weekend, I want to drive it more and get a dipstick fix in place. 

Thx for the replies

Edited by Stev-o - May/16/2019 at 5:59pm
Stev-o View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev-o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler Midnight Rambler wrote:

Buy the Bulltear dipstick and tube, and use the bracket.  They even worked with my '66 Gen II engine after I straightened out the bottom of the tube (the hole in the oil baffle was changed in '67 so it didn't cross over the oil pickup in the pan).

Guessing this is the part you are suggesting.

http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=190 - http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=190

Does the header need to be pulled?  I'm not currently with the car.

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

BTW - the Misfit episodes are available "On Demand" with DirecTV.  

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 12:26pm
Replacement Dipstick Tubes must be checked for correct size OD of the swagged friction bumps.
0.334 inch OD is the correct size of the 2 friction bumps on the dipstick tube that go in the block
per the notes I have saved, best way is to somehow re-swage, but some sand or file down OD,
some even enlarge the hole in the block.

iirc I installed a new dipstick and tube after the motor was in the car and the headers installed.

Skuttlebutt is with an AMC, run 1/2 to 1 Quart Oil overfilled to avoid pumping Pan Dry
if any "spirited" driving is on the itinerary, since drain-back off the heads etc back to pan can be slow.

When I had a broken one for awhile, I had the top of the Dipstick Tube with the Stick in it in the car,
and a bolt in the other broke off half still in the block, would reach, crawl, etc,
remove bolt and put broken half and stick down in block and check oil !  Ha ! 

Wonder what rear end gears are in that car ?  Some gears might make it quicker.
Does it have a stall converter?  Is it still the Borg Warner Automatic?
Here's a curiosity that would be nice to know, what are the Front and Rear U-Joint Angles?
Believe it or not, stock AMC set-up is Trans and Pinion both angled DOWN by the same degree, iirc.
Found my '69 Pinion required shimmed down with 4 deg Leaf Spring Shims to get it right,
point being, you saying you'd hope it would be a little faster / quicker... looking to help that.
Wonder what "tune" is on it, what Advance Curve...
What's the induction set-up ?Saw the show last year, but forget.

Some Dipstick Info posted in a thread here:

Someone posted here and image from an orig AMC source U-Joint Angle Info:

Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Phitown Hustler Phitown Hustler wrote:

I never use the ugly stock dipstick and PITA tube anymore. I either cut the stock stick down till its flush on the block and remark or use the Buick BB shorty style that seals against the block. Yup its hard to see and put back in but no more ugly AMC dipstick killing the view of coated headers and nice valve covers

With the Buick stick you still need a tube in the block to guide the stick to the right spot though, correct? So if you had a dipstick tube that was broken off at the block the Buick one might be a quick solution?
Or do you use it with no tube at all?

This seems interesting. To get my headers out I have to pull the tube out first, there's no other way. Mine comes out easy now, but still I'd rather not jack with it at all.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic