TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

no dip stick!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev-o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no dip stick!
    Posted: May/15/2019 at 5:47pm
Hi all....my buddy just bought a '68 AMX [long story] and I was testing it for him, went to check the oil and couldnt find the dip stick or tube! WTF?!

Anyways, after a little research and talking to a Javelin owner at a "Cars and Coffee" show a couple weeks ago, the dip stick should be near the master cylinder, but it is not there.
The car has headers and from what I've been told is they may have been in the way and either not installed or broke off.

I'm in search of the did stick and tube, may have found one, how much of a job will it be to install it?
This concerns me as I dont want to blow the 390 motor, it was recently rebuilt.

He bought the car at auction, does it look familiar?!

Thanks

Phitown Hustler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phitown Hustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 6:03pm
I never use the ugly stock dipstick and PITA tube anymore. I either cut the stock stick down till its flush on the block and remark or use the Buick BB shorty style that seals against the block. Yup its hard to see and put back in but no more ugly AMC dipstick killing the view of coated headers and nice valve covers

THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Phitown Hustler Phitown Hustler wrote:

I never use the ugly stock dipstick and PITA tube anymore. I either cut the stock stick down till its flush on the block and remark or use the Buick BB shorty style that seals against the block. Yup its hard to see and put back in but no more ugly AMC dipstick killing the view of coated headers and nice valve covers

To each his own, but when properly installed the OE AMC dipstick and tube is no uglier than any other OE dipstick/tube.

Their not that tough to install either.  Years ago I made a very simple tool to install AMC dip stick tubes. Split a 1" long piece of small tubing that fit nicely around the dip stick tube, weld them to a small pair of vise grips, place the end of the split tubing against the dip stick tube flange and tap the side of the vise grips until the dip stick tube flange is against the block.      
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 7:04pm
If the dip stick tube broke off in the block it won't be that easy to remove. Here is the location of the dip stick on my 68 AMX 390. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 7:44pm
Some report that the commonly available dipstick tubes dont dit in the block. Apparently the sealing band diameters are too large.  I got one anyhow and swaged the bands down with a double flaring tool clamp.  Then sanded down just a bit to remove crimp marks.  Call it a $20 experiment..  If it doesnt work I'll buy one from Bulltear.  

Havent started assembly yet so cant say if it worked yet.  
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 7:50pm
I admit a Jeep dipstick looks a bit odd on an AMC. I did not mind the stock 73 dipstick, but my 71 has a Jeep dipstick installed, from the mid 90s rebuild. A wee too tall, and yellow.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by ChillyB ChillyB wrote:

Some report that the commonly available dipstick tubes dont dit in the block. Apparently the sealing band diameters are too large.  I got one anyhow and swaged the bands down with a double flaring tool clamp.  Then sanded down just a bit to remove crimp marks.  Call it a $20 experiment..  If it doesnt work I'll buy one from Bulltear.  

Havent started assembly yet so cant say if it worked yet.  

Now there's a good idea - 
Can't say I've had horrible issues but the one in my 73 was a total disaster - the PO was NOT an AMC person and hacked everything he did so I ended up having to install things - with the engine in, headers and all. Worked but not thrilled. Have a spare bulltear stick/tube just in case. Will likely need more as I think the 401 I have to build is missing the stick and tube, too.

Have to keep the flare tool clamp idea in mind.
Someassemblyrqd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 11:48pm
Re: the car - it said to have originally sold for $52.5K after the car was showcased in a two-part series on tv.   It was apparently sold to a second owner after the show.

Are you the third owner since the rebuilding?  How’s it holding up?  Happy with the quality of craftsmanship?

Tell us more.

Greg E.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 8:24am
This looks like the misfit garage car. They had a lot of misinformation on the show during the build.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 8:30am
Agree, definitely looks like the MisFit Garage / Fired Up Garage Car.
Would be interesting to know the inside scoop on that car and build.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic