TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

no dip stick!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Stev-o View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev-o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no dip stick!
    Posted: Sep/08/2019 at 2:24pm
Hey guys...thanks for all the replies and info.   Took the AMX to the local Cars/Coffee event a couple weeks ago, put a half quart of oil in it prior, just to be safe.  Car ran flawless.
My buddy and his Dad were there with their AMX and Javelin, snapped a crappy piture of the three cars together.
He had a spare dipstick tube bracket in new cond and gave it to me, ya meet good people driving AMX's!
I have ordered the Bultear tube and dipstick and plan to install it soon so I can check oil level and not worry about blowing the motor due to no oil.
I'll update the thread once it's in.  Thanks

Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2019 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Ramzilla Ramzilla wrote:

Dipstick tube OMX-1742402 this is the tube I got from Summit. I was holding it up against my original top peace 1969 390. And I noticed something I did not notice before. That is the new tube is 1/4 inch shorter that means that the dipstick will go into oil pan a 1/4 inch farther. That means about 1/2 quart of oil difference. May need to mark a new line on dipstick a 1/4 inch above full. I think I will do what someone here suggested cut it in two and install a compression fitting making sure that 1/4 inch longer adjustment. Than it can be disconnected if headers need to be changed or put on after the headers. Not sure who had done that with theirs. Maybe it could be reposted again. Thanks Larry

I wouldn't do anything to the stick before I took a reading off it after an oil change.  If the marks are off with 5 fresh quarts (or whatever your preference), you could always just make new marks on the backside of the stick.  The depth of the tube isn't important, just having an accurate mark on the stick is.

Edited by Midnight Rambler - Jun/26/2019 at 5:42pm

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2019 at 5:25pm
Dipstick tube OMX-1742402 this is the tube I got from Summit. I was holding it up against my original top peace 1969 390. And I noticed something I did not notice before. That is the new tube is 1/4 inch shorter that means that the dipstick will go into oil pan a 1/4 inch farther. That means about 1/2 quart of oil difference. May need to mark a new line on dipstick a 1/4 inch above full. I think I will do what someone here suggested cut it in two and install a compression fitting making sure that 1/4 inch longer adjustment. Than it can be disconnected if headers need to be changed or put on after the headers. Not sure who had done that with theirs. Maybe it could be reposted again. Thanks Larry
SC Rambler
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2019 at 6:04pm
This may help those looking for dip stick tube. Yes broke my tube off trying to remove it to put headers on My SC Rambler so I could build the exhaust system. Looking at Summit web site they had a tube for a 401 for 5.99 so I thought what the heck give it a try. Well just received my new starter and dip stick tube today. Since motor is still in car not sure it the bottom end is correct. But the top end is a perfect match. Here is the part number OMX-1742402.
By the way is it possible with and easy out to remove the broken off dip stick from the top. Still working on front Suspension then rear end before motor comes out.
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 4:41pm
There are some pics here that give you a good view of where the dipstick tube is in relation to the block:

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 3:37pm
Also, I have a stick from a 73 CJ5 and a tube that isnt best shape but I have no need for it.  If that is useful to you PM me.  Yours for shipping.  
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 3:25pm
The AMC dipsticks have a rubber cup that fits snugly over the end of the tube.  Seems like that rubber skirt is important to maintaining crankcase vacuum amd not sucking dirt into the engine.

If using a stubby shaft in a broken off stick I.dont think that rubber skirt will have anything to seal on. Probably noy a big deal but something to consider.  
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Phitown Hustler Phitown Hustler wrote:

I never use the ugly stock dipstick and PITA tube anymore. I either cut the stock stick down till its flush on the block and remark or use the Buick BB shorty style that seals against the block. Yup its hard to see and put back in but no more ugly AMC dipstick killing the view of coated headers and nice valve covers

With the Buick stick you still need a tube in the block to guide the stick to the right spot though, correct? So if you had a dipstick tube that was broken off at the block the Buick one might be a quick solution?
Or do you use it with no tube at all?

This seems interesting. To get my headers out I have to pull the tube out first, there's no other way. Mine comes out easy now, but still I'd rather not jack with it at all.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 12:26pm
Replacement Dipstick Tubes must be checked for correct size OD of the swagged friction bumps.
0.334 inch OD is the correct size of the 2 friction bumps on the dipstick tube that go in the block
per the notes I have saved, best way is to somehow re-swage, but some sand or file down OD,
some even enlarge the hole in the block.

iirc I installed a new dipstick and tube after the motor was in the car and the headers installed.

Skuttlebutt is with an AMC, run 1/2 to 1 Quart Oil overfilled to avoid pumping Pan Dry
if any "spirited" driving is on the itinerary, since drain-back off the heads etc back to pan can be slow.

When I had a broken one for awhile, I had the top of the Dipstick Tube with the Stick in it in the car,
and a bolt in the other broke off half still in the block, would reach, crawl, etc,
remove bolt and put broken half and stick down in block and check oil !  Ha ! 

Wonder what rear end gears are in that car ?  Some gears might make it quicker.
Does it have a stall converter?  Is it still the Borg Warner Automatic?
Here's a curiosity that would be nice to know, what are the Front and Rear U-Joint Angles?
Believe it or not, stock AMC set-up is Trans and Pinion both angled DOWN by the same degree, iirc.
Found my '69 Pinion required shimmed down with 4 deg Leaf Spring Shims to get it right,
point being, you saying you'd hope it would be a little faster / quicker... looking to help that.
Wonder what "tune" is on it, what Advance Curve...
What's the induction set-up ?Saw the show last year, but forget.

Some Dipstick Info posted in a thread here:

Someone posted here and image from an orig AMC source U-Joint Angle Info:

Stev-o View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev-o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2019 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler Midnight Rambler wrote:

Buy the Bulltear dipstick and tube, and use the bracket.  They even worked with my '66 Gen II engine after I straightened out the bottom of the tube (the hole in the oil baffle was changed in '67 so it didn't cross over the oil pickup in the pan).

Guessing this is the part you are suggesting.

http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=190 - http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=190

Does the header need to be pulled?  I'm not currently with the car.

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

BTW - the Misfit episodes are available "On Demand" with DirecTV.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic