TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aftermarket carb on stock 360 manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulinpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aftermarket carb on stock 360 manifold
    Posted: May/15/2019 at 2:50pm
Hi all
 I have a 79 CJ7with a 304 and what appears to be a 360 factory four barrel manifold (I just found some pictures in a Jeep forum looks like a spread bore manifold)I need to replace the carburetor which is a holly with something different and have decided on an eldelBrock AVS 2 and just want to make sure it will fit. I am concerned because The AMC manifold does not appear flat if that makes any sense to you. I am used to manifolds having a large flat mounting surface. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks so much 

cheers

Edited by Paulinpa - May/15/2019 at 3:11pm
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 4:20pm
The Jeep spread bore manifold does have more taper on it front to back then the car manifold as the engine was angled more (transfer case ...) and the carburetor needed to be level for the floats.
The AVS2 does have short float through length, the Truck Avenger is designed for off road use and may be a better choice depending on use.
You will need an adapter for either of these two or replace the intake with an aftermarket.

Edited by Trader - May/15/2019 at 4:45pm
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 4:51pm
And adapters are a problem. That spreadbore carb pattern - if it's a later 360 4 bbl - is the 4350 Motorcraft, which is a real orphan. The intake casting number is 3224347 for the late 4bbl intake, and almost nothing fits the carb pattern. It is not the same as a conventional Qjet spreadbore pattern.

You might be better off changing to an earlier intake which would work really well on the 304 and a conventional carb would fit. There are big and small port AMC 4bbl intakes with a conventional carb pattern, and they are quite good - just heavy. They are a little hard to find, but usually cheap.
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Paulinpa Paulinpa wrote:

Hi all
 I have a 79 CJ7with a 304 and what appears to be a 360 factory four barrel manifold (I just found some pictures in a Jeep forum looks like a spread bore manifold)I need to replace the carburetor which is a holly with something different and have decided on an eldelBrock AVS 2 and just want to make sure it will fit. I am concerned because The AMC manifold does not appear flat if that makes any sense to you. I am used to manifolds having a large flat mounting surface. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks so much 

cheers

The AVS 2 is an excellent choice!! The new annular flow primary boosters work awesome and the AVS 2 carbs do have the spring loaded needle and seats so they work great off road!!!!!

You can use Edelbrock adapter plate #2732 to install an Edelbrock carb to a factory Jeep 4 barrel intake.   

Edited by THE MENACE - May/15/2019 at 5:11pm
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 7:10pm
That is an easy way to do it - I didn't know it works, but makes sense.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 7:39pm
Considered a pair of 190x carbs to replace my 1406 carbs which are worn out - literally, old and worn and tons of miles on them (and likely too large)
(space an issue in my case so most Holley's out of the question - 8" center to center, one reason I've considered the 190X series)

I've read about the annular boosters and what i've read is 100% positive, better throttle response, etc.

I suspect you'll be fine with the AVS 2 carb on that engine - makes sense for your use.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Considered a pair of 190x carbs to replace my 1406 carbs which are worn out - literally, old and worn and tons of miles on them (and likely too large)
(space an issue in my case so most Holley's out of the question - 8" center to center, one reason I've considered the 190X series)

I've read about the annular boosters and what i've read is 100% positive, better throttle response, etc.

I suspect you'll be fine with the AVS 2 carb on that engine - makes sense for your use.
I have had 2 of the Summit brand carbs that have annular boosters for 3 or 4 years. They have been the best and most responsive carbs that I have ever had, and I've had all brands.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 8:18pm
Never looked at the summit carbs - know nothing about them.
But like the 4 hole injectors I put in my Eagle, replacing the single hole injectors, the annular design makes total sense to me, better response seems to be the common theme. 
The QF carbs I was looking at as a pair for the dual quad - old style straight boosters.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Never looked at the summit carbs - know nothing about them.
But like the 4 hole injectors I put in my Eagle, replacing the single hole injectors, the annular design makes total sense to me, better response seems to be the common theme. 
The QF carbs I was looking at as a pair for the dual quad - old style straight boosters.
It is a remake of the old Holley 4010 ( I think that's the number), which was based on the Autolite 4100. It uses Holley parts , but looks like an Autolite. The top comes off like an Autolite.

Edited by Sonic Silver - May/15/2019 at 9:09pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2019 at 9:21pm
Probably too large physically for my use, then - two of them 8" center to center.
Wow, been a while since I worked on that old an Autolite. I think the last time was on a Lincoln engine I rebuilt for a lady.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic