TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ford 8.8 vs Mopar 8 3/4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2014 at 11:06am
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

And the other side of that story simply is if you do not need the benefits of something like a Ford 9 inch or a MOPAR 8 3/4 in terms of toughness it simply is that you do not need to spend the money to put it in.
For the present I have a choice of a MOPAR 8 3/4 with 3.23 that is in good shape and will fit the springs or to leave the AMC 15 in it.  The 8 3/4 is older than the AMC 15. 
And the AMC 15 is there and in good shape and it ain't broken.   For my purposes, if it ain't broke!  I ain't gonna fix it.  And until such time it becomes broke, there is no reason to fix it.  It is really pointless to me to discuss what might go in it, because what is already there works.  And if for some reason if it does break and the availability of the MOPAR 8 3/4 is there I will use it.

You may be waiting a very long time for that 15 to break!

People panic at the thoughts of having one in their car, yet I have been running a bone stock 3:31 AMC 15 Twingrip for way over 10 years. I don't beat the living crap out of it, but do get on it at least once every time I have it out. That's with the 4-1 first gear T5 and 255/60R 15"s It grips pretty hard, not a lot of tire spin.

I even have a spare for when it breaks....kept that for some reason? The one in the car had 106K on it when I put it in too! The twingrip is even completely functional.

I will be changing over to an 8.8" when I get around to it. Want the 3:73 to go with the .62 O/D of the 2:95 first gear T5, whenever I get that in...

I did notice that the 8.8" is a bit on the heavy side, contemplated looking for a 7.5" Ranger housing for a while.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2014 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

Originally posted by 68javelin232 68javelin232 wrote:

How hard would the 8.8 irs be to hook up ..

Not familiar with the Cobra version of the 8.8 IRS.  

I built frames for the 2002-up Explorers, and that 8.8 IRS has all the attaching points made into the rear frame module...which is welded to the front mod and center rails before it ever left our factory.  So that would be unsuited for an AMC [124.7" wheelbase, in case the thought of "full-framing" your AMC came to mind].  You COULD "slice-and dice" and shorten the frame, but you'd lose the rustproofing protection that the factory E-coat provides to the frame rails.

NOW...if you're talking about the T-Bird/Cougar/Mark VIII IRS which IS from a unibody, and which comes with a subframe...THAT might work.  BUT you'd have to first fabricate mounts for the subframe, and they would have to be compatible with the unibody you're dealing with on the particular AMC product, and they would have to preserve the original suspension geometry.  [Not sure, but I believe the upper strut mounts might be an area needing some fabrication work...haven't gotten that far into my research yet.]

Doable?  Yes...if you're a skilled fabricator.

Simple?  Doubtful.

But if you get it right...sounds pretty sweet.
In one of my web searches I found where someone did just that took the sub-frame from a IRS stang to use in an old stang. You might be able to find it with a search thru Google.
IIRC this is what Frank did to run the Jag IRS in his wagon, made a sub-frame and mounted it to the car.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic