TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ford 8.8 conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2017 at 12:16am

NHRA rules make it you have to run the cclip eliminator on that type rear end if your not racing then you can get away with out it its all about keeping the axles in the rearend if it breaks

69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2017 at 8:15am
The NHRA does require this and if you look at some night time photos you see the rotors glowing red. They have axles breaking at the outer wheel bearings and wheels flying off - extreme conditions that a c-clip eliminator is not going to do much except keep one more piece of metal attached to the car in the crash.
As a street car and occasional race I don't see the point, even racing I don't see the point with disc brakes, but rules are rules. 
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2017 at 11:49am
Another issue with C-clips is pad knock back due to axle shaft movement from the clearance between the C-clip and groove in the shaft. May need to pump the brake after a hard turn. Keeping floating calipers will help.
StreetFreaksInc View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StreetFreaksInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2018 at 5:54pm
I know this is an older thread, but I am considering building retrofit 8.8s for AMC applications. I have a Gremlin on hand to determine all the pertinent info for them, and Hornets, and any other models this rear may fit. I plan to offer them narrowed where needed, with new internals. Anyone with interest in this please PM me. I'd be willing to build them for other applications as well, as long as you can provide a donor axle to use for measurements, or your own measurements.
sweet dreams View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet dreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 10:33am
In 1995 I installed a 1978 Lincoln Versaille 9" with 11' disc brakes into my '69 Javelin . SIMPLE SWAP with no mods. 28 spline axels with 4:10 gears behind a 390 @ torque flite . More than ecstatic with results.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2018 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by sweet dreams sweet dreams wrote:

In 1995 I installed a 1978 Lincoln Versaille 9" with 11' disc brakes into my '69 Javelin . SIMPLE SWAP with no mods. 28 spline axels with 4:10 gears behind a 390 @ torque flite . More than ecstatic with results.

Those are pretty hard to find now. I had a 9" built to the same width for mine and it fits great. I have 31 spline axles with an Eaton Tru Track in it and 3:70 gears. I used Explorer brakes since I already had new one from the 8.8 I pulled out.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 1:35pm
I don’t like the stock limited slip from ford. Yes, the 8.8 is cheap in a junkyard. Yes, tons of aftermarket carriers avail. To me, the stock LS diff is a piece of junk. The factory AMC Power lock style with ramps is a winner, hands down. And the AMC rear is meant to fit, looks right, and has good engineering. Put some better brakes and shafts in one, and its solid. People hassle these 8.8 into Jeeps too. I don’t get it. Some of the truck units have big tubes or stepped tubes, but so what. 
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Jmerican Jmerican wrote:

I don’t like the stock limited slip from ford. Yes, the 8.8 is cheap in a junkyard. Yes, tons of aftermarket carriers avail. To me, the stock LS diff is a piece of junk. The factory AMC Power lock style with ramps is a winner, hands down. And the AMC rear is meant to fit, looks right, and has good engineering. Put some better brakes and shafts in one, and its solid. People hassle these 8.8 into Jeeps too. I don’t get it. Some of the truck units have big tubes or stepped tubes, but so what. 

An AMC 20 is a good piece.  But it always depends on what you have or find for your small or big application.  An 8.8 done right is bullet proof and I abuse mine regularly without a hitch.  And the disc brakes are an added bonus.  To each his own.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 3:25pm
No doubt the 8.8 has its place. I’m throwing out there that the stock trac loc is garbage. The c clip sloppy for cornering and braking, and just junk. I think the junk yard swaps are questionable. The brakes off of an Explorer... they are ok to decent. That stock limited slip is weak and the preload method is crap. Fooling to think it’s limited slip. Unless it’s brand new to about ten thousand miles old. 
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2018 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Jmerican Jmerican wrote:

As this has been discussed before,  if you have an open, low geared AMC 20 and you're adding some decent power to the car, the cost of upgrading the 20 gets pretty high and it still has its limitations. The LS unit in the 100k mile 8.8 unit I had worked great. Laid down a perfect pair of black lines every time. LOL  Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're junk.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic