TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ford 8.8 conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2017 at 6:40am
Disc brakes don't fade as much as drums because drums hold heat inside the drum, rotors are exposed to air except under the pads. Even solid discs will dissipate heat quicker than drums. The original disc brakes used for T/A racing were solid -- the Bendix four piston as used by AMC 65-70. Vented are better, than solid, but solid rotors are still better than drums as far as fade resistance. You CAN make drums perform, but takes some work. On a light car you can virtually eliminate fade, at least under all but the hardest driving conditions. See http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Drums/index.html

Lots of axle options. The Dana 44 is usually considered great up to around 500 hp. Want a stronger axle and don't plan on going much over 500 hp, or definitely under? Great choice, and doesn't weigh as much as a Ford 9". The 8.8" is a great choice IF it will fit your needs and you can get one cheap. Most pick-n-pull type yards have them now. Do some research and figure out what fits, add up costs of upgrades. Again, the late model Ranger axle is the right width for a Javelin, but will have drum brakes. You can lessen the impact of costs by running the drums for now, upgrade to rear discs later.
Frank Swygert
Floorman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2017 at 9:12pm
Well, after mulling around everything. Come to find out, my son in law still has one of nines I thought we scrapped. So if I'm going to shorten a rear, I may as well start with a free unit. He also discovered he has a trac loc to go with it. I've done the disc conversion once, so now it's a breeze. If anyone is interested I'll share the disc conversion. Like I said it'll cost $150- $250 depending on what parts a salvageable.
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2017 at 9:26am
We did a 8.8 in my sons Concord wagon...$200 for an low mile Explorer rear with 3.73`s posi disc brakes and a 2nd short axle...I bought 1/4 thick spring perch`s on line for $30...Had u bolt`s made for $40...made the spring plates...and bought a combination u joint $25...drive shaft fit back in but with the engine and trans swap the shaft is 4 inches to long...will be cutting down a full size ford shaft due to the larger joints....Very hard to beat that combo for $300....Here are some of the biggest pro`s...4 wheel disc...no more flange wobble...strength..price...multiple gear ratio`s.....
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 9:20am
How was the width of the Explorer axle in the Concord? I thought the Explorer axle is about 1.5" wider than the Concord axle -- about the same width as the Eagle and Jeep XJ axles (Explorer same width as those). 
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 9:38am
I shortened the one tube..we measured the face to face (With the drums and rotors on) the Explorer rear was a total of 5/8 of an inch narrower...I call that an exact fit....I was told it would be an inch narrower...This is why i do my own measurements...
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 9:43am
Looking at the wanted ad thread for a twin grip is why I'm doing this swap. In most cases there's just no way you can compare the cost even if I can do it all myself.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2017 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

I shortened the one tube..we measured the face to face (With the drums and rotors on) the Explorer rear was a total of 5/8 of an inch narrower...I call that an exact fit....I was told it would be an inch narrower...This is why i do my own measurements...

I have been telling people about this swap Anthony. This is what I want to do for my Concord 4dr. The 8.8 is a great axle and probably good for 325-350hp.... 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2017 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

I have been telling people about this swap Anthony. This is what I want to do for my Concord 4dr. The 8.8 is a great axle and probably good for 325-350hp.... 
I think the Explorer 8.8 with the 31 spline axle`s would be good for another 100hp over that...especially a lower torque 360...
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2017 at 11:45am
I believe NASCAR uses 8.8's for most builds - 800 to 900 HP. Failure of these units is almost always human error. Solid spacers, 31 spline, new bearings, correct setup, welded tubes and good for street or strip. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2017 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Lyle Lyle wrote:

I believe NASCAR uses 8.8's for most builds - 800 to 900 HP. Failure of these units is almost always human error. Solid spacers, 31 spline, new bearings, correct setup, welded tubes and good for street or strip. 

Nope not on cup and grand national series.

The rears are based on the 9 inch rear.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic