TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

floor shifter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rix34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: floor shifter
    Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 10:39pm
Does anyone know if there was ever a 3 spd floor shifter for 62 American.   My linkage is extremely loose and I would prefer to not have to weld and refit it all.  
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 7:03am
No. any aftermarket shifter you get will need modifying of the bracket and rods to fit the T-96. If you have a TSM there are adjustments to the shifter that help, but if it's extremely worn the column has to come out. The nylon plug at the bottom has 2-3 screws around the perimeter holding it into slotted, angled holes. You can loosen those and twist to tighten, but not much adjustment. I've tried moving the screws, but the thing usually cracks due to age even if you drill for the new screw locations first. I've had good luck making a new plug from a hard wood (like oak) and greasing the face. That you can push up to tighten things up nicely. Remember, it's a hard wood -- drill for the screws first. Column has to come out to do this, of course. That plug also holds the lower bearing, but wood isn't hard to work. If you can get a thick piece of plastic or nylon (PVC is too soft) that would work also, but harder to find.

Some have had luck making a floor shifter made for trucks work. If you have a bench seat and are short you still might be out of luck, but the truck shifter mounts far enough forward to clear the bench, at least when it's most of the way back.
Frank Swygert
rix34 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rix34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 4:47pm
Thanks Frank.   I was hoping someone had been here before.   I am not opposed to the column shift, Just that mine has very excessive play.    I guess I just get to be lucky to tear it apart and renew it.  
Thanks again. 
Rick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic