TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Floor shift for BW Flash o Matic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2017 at 11:44pm
http://www.ctcautoranch.com/

http://johnssalvagecompany.net/
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2017 at 6:14am
The neutral/backup switch is on the column of AMC column shift cars, on the shifter of floor shift cars (with factory floor shifter). 

After looking at the instruction sheet, I don't see why the B&M Unimatic wouldn't work. It won't be a simple install -- you will have to modify one of the cable anchor points to fit (looks like C4 or C6 versions will be close) and you may have to modify the arm on your trans to get the right throw. The cable loops around the back of the trans, so it should work with the existing arm, but you may need to move the location of the hole where the cable mounts (should be same distance as the other arms). You can also loop the cable so that it pulls the arm from the front, just make sure there are big loops (or order a shorter cable).

This looks a lot like a four speed shifter -- nothing indicating position. I don't have the marker on my column shift and don't have an issue at all. You learn your car! Every now and then I get in a hurry and pull it into 3 instead of D (I have an AW4 OD trans), but it doesn't take long to realize I'm not in OD. Can't remember last time that happened though. It's a good theft deterrent too...

Yes, it seems they hid the small fuse panel on the 63-66 big cars. I installed a sub panel for accessories over on the passenger side firewall. Used a switched connection on the original panel to activate a relay for a little parts store six position fuse box that uses modern blade type fuses. So now I have six switched positions. I have a 40A fuse protecting the panel itself. I've considered getting a larger 8 or 10 position panel and re-wiring the connector for the original panel, but I just don't blow fuses often enough to worry about it. Haven't blown one in years... better make sure I have spare glass fuses in the car after saying that!

Edited by farna - Feb/14/2017 at 6:17am
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2017 at 10:57am
There's a B&M for sale down in the For sale section.

Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2017 at 5:16pm
I did the first part of Tom Jennings' mod, the part where you insert two lengths of bolt. As Tom says, what a silly design.
Tried to knock out the roll pin but it wouldn't come. Nothing to hit against with the column in the car and I'm worried I'll break the housing. Anyway, it's a lot less sloppy now. That was a clever fix he worked out.

The linkage at the foot of the column seems to have washers missing, there's some slack I should be able to take out. Then with any luck I can put the box in Low and readjust the links. Might be able to get it working in all gears. If it stops raining tomorrow I can back it out a bit so I can climb into the pit and work from underneath.

Interesting, the selector gate in the column.... there's a simple gate for P and R, but after it's in N, you can just move the lever. No gate definitions at all for N D2 D1. It seems the selection just depends on the detentes in the box.
That being the case, it should be possible to use any 3-speed non-ratchet floor shifter. If there is a gate on the shifter I could just file it off. So there's a job for next winter.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2017 at 6:21am
The lower end (foot) of the column should have 2-3 small screws holding a plastic piece in. That piece holds the lower bearing. The screws are in slightly angled slots. The screws can be loosened and the plastic piece turned in the slots to tighten some. Unfortunately that plastic piece is hard and brittle from age. I've tried pushing it up and turning, then drilling new screw holes. Almost always cracks from new screws. To solution is to make a hard wood or plastic new end. Easy to do with hand tools. A hole saw to cut a blank close to the right diameter, then run a bolt through it and chuck in a drill to sand down. Then you can make a recessed area for the bearing. Once you have that piece out it's pretty easy to make a new one iof you're handy with wood tools.

Most factory floor shifters don't have detents... at least 60s and 70s models. Try a Ford factory 70s or early 80s shifter (Cortina, German made Capri, maybe?). The selections on the shifter will be off, but you can make a new plastic piece and mark for your trans. You may have to adjust the length of the shift arm on the trans and/or shifter to make it work right also. Shouldn't be hard though. I use a column shifter on mine (Jeep AW4 trans) with no indicator. Easy enough to "feel" the gears, and it's a theft deterrent...

Edited by farna - Mar/23/2017 at 6:25am
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2017 at 11:23am
Thankyou.
I'll have a look at that.

I adjusted the linkage so I can get all the gear positions. That's an improvement. But it's pretty sloppy in R and N, wouldn't want to leave it idling in neutral while I got out of the car.

When I started it up to drive back into the garage, fuel was pouring out of the float chamber vent. That's new and exciting.
So I stripped it, blew through the fuel valve, couldn't see anything. There are two filters on the car. The fuel tank is new. How can muck get in the carb.

I should fit the rebuilt carb I bought, but it seems to be running OK now and I don't like to disturb it.

Might actually go out in it tomorrow. Only to the shops but that would be something. Better take plenty of tools. Oh, and I need some petrol. Wonder what mileage I'll get. Around 15 (Imperial) I suppose.
Where the wife's concerned, don't ask don't tell.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic