TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Floor shift for BW Flash o Matic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor shift for BW Flash o Matic?
    Posted: Feb/07/2017 at 11:27am
It's got to the top of the jobs list.
The awful column shifter in my 63 Ambassador.

There's an improvement here
http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/Column-shifter-fix/index.html
that I was going to start on, or at least as much as I can with the column in the car.

At the moment I can get Park, Reverse, Neutral, then something that makes the car go forward but whether it's D1 or D2 there's no telling, and it doesn't go into Low.

But I don't feel any great enthusiasm for the column shifter with all those levers and pivots, and I'll bet the right-hand drive version I have is even worse.

So before I start, has anyone gone to a floor shift, if so which one?
It would need to bolt to the floor, or I could build a console for it to sit on.

I looked in the Search, found nothing for this trans.
Recommendations would be valuable.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2017 at 11:18am
By Googling, I found some old threads:

From 2010, some links are broken
http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1273023692;start=all
recommends B&M Quicksilver, B&M Starshifter, B&M Street Bandit although the trigger, hmmm.

From 2014
http://theamcforum.com/forum/64-rambler-classic-shifter-swap_topic56922.html
No recommendations.

From 2011
http://theamcforum.com/forum/64-rambler-3-spd-manual-shifter-option_topic34641.html
Recommends Hurst Universal Truck shifter, and there's a JC Whitney link that's broken.

I'll have to research these options. But at least there may be options.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2017 at 7:04am
If you have bucket seats you can make almost any floor shifter work. You might have to make an arm fro the trans, but that is simple enough. A bench seat would be harder...
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2017 at 11:40am
Bench... and a nice original interior that I'd like to preserve.

The B&M Quicksilver looks possible. I could mount it on a console tilted back so the lever is within reach. Whether it works depends how the throw of the lever registers with the throw of the trans lever, or whether one or both could be slotted like the Lokar.
I've asked B&M whether it will work with the Flash O.

The Lokar floor-mount might be an option, but I don't like the absence of a position indicator. Not what I'd call a serious shifter for regular road use.

Question: the shift sequence N D2 D1 seems to assume that most of the time one will pull away in 2nd gear.
The B&M shifters have a straight gate to get into Drive, but a ratchet to get into 2nd and Low. It would be a nuisance if I had to keep ratcheting back into D1.

How practical is it to start off in D2 most of the time?

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2017 at 12:49pm
I have experience with the BW transmissions of that era, as a driver.

Starting in D2 is not a problem; it's how most Little League moms [forerunners to soccer moms] drove them back in the day. Essentially, you end up with the same function as a Chevrolet Powerglide; the trans shifts only once, not twice. There's no harm done UNLESS you're towing heavy loads...which I seriously doubt you intend to do.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2017 at 5:07pm
Correct. As long as you are content to leisurely get going it is designed to take off in 2nd. If you want more performance use D1. I'd forget one of the shifters that have the lock in 3rd. A standard shifter should be fine, something like an old Ford Pinto shifter. The problem you will run into is that the positions on the old BW trannies are not all the same distance apart. IIRC there is a bigger gap between P , R and D2, but L-D1-D2 are the same distance. That will throw the position indicator off a bit on a standard shifter. You might look at a Lokar shifter. Note that the detents inside the trans determine where the shifter stops, not detents in the shifter. So the shifter will match the trans, won't line up exactly with the indicators on the shifter.  You can adjust the arm or make an arm for the trans easy enough, will just take a little trial and error to get it right... or rather close enough.
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2017 at 5:13am
Ahh, thankyou, interesting. As you say, a leisurely start is fine most of the time.

I have an old shifter from a MkII Jag. That has a sort of gate. And of course the ratchets have stops. If there is a variable gap on the trannie then that's difficult.

More research.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2017 at 5:24am
Normally you should drive in D1 range and take advantage of all three speeds. The D2 range is intended to be used on slippery, reduced traction surfaces such as snow and ice to reduce the chance of spinning your drive wheels. To quote from the owners manual of my 67 Ambassador, "Since starting in second gear (D2) requires greater throttle opening for the same acceleration, more fuel would be used on starts in D2"
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2017 at 2:26pm
Been in touch with B&M and Lokar.

B&M have yet to respond, but Lokar asked if I have any pictures of the BW M10 trans.

I haven't been able to find any on the web. I wonder if any of you have pictures you could share?

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2017 at 7:14pm
Search for BW M8. The M10 is just the M8 with a TV cable instead of vacuum modulator.

This site has some photos of the Studebaker version -- identical to Rambler except for bell housing.
http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/Transmission/FMX/fmx2.html

It's virtually identical to the old Ford-O-Matic and Cruise-O-Matic (both Ford trannys, license built versions of the M-8). If Lokar has a shifter for one of those it should be easily adaptable to the M-8.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic