TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

floor finishes, garage/shop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2015 at 12:53pm
Me too Bill.....if I started driving now I could be there late Monday early Tuesday lol
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2015 at 2:09pm
Tony you have a great excuse - even if you drove the AMX here, well....... frankly I'd enjoy having you as well as others here. I really would. I also think it would help me mentally after the last few weeks, and especially after this last week after what I've learned. 

I got the long work bench out under the lean-to. I used the car dollies and Barbara helped steer it a bit. I had to move a few other things to get it to fit as it's long. I need to unload book shelves, the cabinets with alternators and alternator parts, starter parts, and the big tall shelves with Javelin parts.
Then I have to unhook and remove the compressor.......I still have over a day's work at least just to get the rest of the stuff out and that's not counting cleaning the floor a bit, and finishing putting up light. My hips and back hurt so bad I had to take a bit of a break, then in a few minutes it's back at it likely for until way late tonight. 
It's a #$% doing it all single-handed - a ton of back and forth, up and down ladders carrying one part at a time down, then up again. The shelves are something like 10-11' tall and LOADED wth heavy stuff. 
There's still 2 or 3 dozen starters and alternators, the armature lathe and other equipment to move out as well. 
4 floor jacks and 8 jacks stands, transmission jack went out to the lean-to a bit ago. 
I'm BEAT.
Green AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2015 at 8:59pm
Hows the floor going ?
69 AMX 390 4speed go pack
72 Javelin 360 auto(sons)
82 Spirit (wife's 1st car)still not done
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 7:35am
Thanks for asking - and also - funny you should ask (timing)  Smile  I just grabbed the card from the camera to get a couple of pictures put up.

I almost made deadline. Recall they wanted to start a day early if possible. I was up until almost midnight getting things out of the shop. I never got the other 3 lights replaced, and didn't get all the cleaning done that I had wanted to do. After the building was done I went around the entire perimeter of the inside and "caulked" between floor and steel wall to seal the place where the walls almost meet the floor - help keep things a bit neater, prevent bugs from coming in that way, just sort of seal it up a bit more. I used mostly silicon based caulk. It held like crazy in some spots, not well at all in others but looking back I used whatever I had on hand, then bought stuff on sale and it was a mix of probably 4 different caulking and silicon products. Also some transmission fluid had leaked out of some transmissions I had on the shelves as well as the transfer cases I had stored on shelves. When the west floor settled, then was raised again, that broke the bond between that caulking and walls/floor, the other side I had used very good product that stuck like a beast to concrete and walls. Anyway, they were going to put the new floor "up to the silicon" caulking joint. I said no, I'll remove that sealer, I want the finish to go to the walls, not stop 1/8 to 1/4" short and end at silicon.
So I went home yesterday morning and helped them get connected to my 50 amp 220 in the shop (we had to hard-wire their equipment as they couldn't figure out how to make an adapter for my welding outlet and get their equipment to work. That's ok as it's sort of strange since run an oven and an antique welder on that particular circuit and it's wired differently)
While I was there, I dug through the covered stuff, found my gasket scrapers, a "Stanley knife" and a razor blade and proceeded to remove all that old silicon caulk. Some came off ok, some not so ok. I have a #@$% of a big blister on the palm of my left hand. It took me 2 hours to go around the entire floor perimeter and dig out and scrape off that old silicon caulk. I didn't do under the stairs or in the "closet" formed by the stairs landing to the upstairs. That will be all buried in parts storage anyway and the air compressor, jacks, stands and engine stand sit under the stairs, that's just storage and you can't see most of the floor back there anyway. But I did get the rest done!! Wow, almost 30' of south wall, 36' of west wall, 15' or so of east wall, and because of the two overhead doors, only about 6' of north wall.
When I got home and looked last night I see they did go all the way up to the walls with the first coat and the quartz broadcast.

In 1 or 2 of the photo you may notice where I got creative - I didn't want them to have to go around too many things, so I removed one of the braces I had put in place to support the middle of the lower half of the stairway going up, but also I raised the bottom part of the stairs. I removed 2 of the screws that hold the wall panels to the framing, put in two heavier construction screws about 3" long running them through a chain then into the wall. I made a 5 or 6" loop in the chain, one of the screws running through each end of the loop into the wall/framing. I then used my "come-along" with one hook hooked to the chain loop on the wall up high, the other end hooked to the bottom of the stairs, and cranked a bit, lifting the bottom of the stairs an inch or so so that they could get under at least those areas and not go around the center and outboard supports at the bottom end of the stairs. You may detect that in the photos and see how the stairs no longer rest on the floor. At the wall they are bolted to the wall with lags so can't be moved, but they "gave" just enough to do this.
What you see on the floor is quartz.

Overview of empty shop. It took DAYS to haul tons, and I mean literally tons, of parts, transmissions, engines, transfer cases, differentials, tools and equipment. This also shows the infrared heating and some of the new lights on the right or west side.

Looking at the northwest corner from the west. Doors were left open a tiny bit as the floor coat goes under about half-way. I've not seen this corner so clean in years! This is where the electric, phone, Ethernet network cable, enters and where the terminal board is. The powder coating oven normally sits in this corner also, due to the proximity of the electric.  The reddish box near the ceiling, between the doors, with the 30' tube extending out to the left/south is the heat.

Looking to the SW, an overview...........

I wasn't able to enter so held the camera inside the door and snapped, caught a view looking south to the stairs. Note they don't touch the floor. You can just see the 'come-along'.

Better over-all view looking SW

Looking down to the west.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2015 at 10:38pm
The second coat, the coat with color, was put down today. 
Tomorrow the third coat will go down. 
I have photos but not sure it's worth posting them at this stage, maybe will when it's done, will see. 
Green AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 10:48am
Looking good you may need sun glasses in there when your done
69 AMX 390 4speed go pack
72 Javelin 360 auto(sons)
82 Spirit (wife's 1st car)still not done
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 12:30pm
LOL - could be. I had 3 of the new LED light arrays hung before this floor surfacing started. Didn't get time to do the other three. With one of the MH lights dead on the east side, the SE part was rather dark, quite dark really. So to help them (and me when scraping up the old silicon caulking and cleaning up) I hung one of the LED lights from the stairs leading up to the wood shop. I plugged the pigtail wires I'd stripped into an extension cord and hung the light by small chains from the stairs and plugged the cord in. Wow, I thought I was going to go get the sun block or something. It was almost TOO bright in that corner.  And that was with the old dirty grey floor.
I can't wait to hang the other 3 lights properly from the ceiling and see how it all comes out.

Apparently the crew left - with trucks, trailer and all, about 11:15 today, will be interesting to see it this evening and talk to them about care and feeding and when I get get in there with my truck so I can put the rest of the lights up. 15' ceiling so I have to put my ladder in the back of the pickup in order to reach the ceiling!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic