TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

floor finishes, garage/shop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2015 at 11:46am
if you don't like grey, Id go for light tan or beige.......Im getting to where I need light to see too....but my floor is stained and Im not spending money to paint it....
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2015 at 2:20pm
They actually suggested a tan or light beige for the work I do...... they will be sending me a "standard color chart" later, but I can deviate from that.
They said AVOID FLAKES, duh, no kidding. It would be like trying to find one rock in a pile of many rocks.
I can't ever see using colored flakes on a shop floor. That's just asking to lose things and does nothing other than hide dirt. That's a given - NO colored flakes, or for that matter to prove I'm not prejudiced, no flakes at all. Of course that keeps a lot of folks out of the shop, too.

Ah, and as I expected, the shop has to be FULLY empty, so where do I put equipment that now takes up 36' x 10' in the shop? The garage is FULL.
And of course it was wonderful that when I hopped in the car to go home to meet them, the BATTERY WAS DEAD - it cranked the engine over just enough for it to fire and begin to take off, then wouldn't turn it over again.
No, not the Eagle, that battery is fine and great. The 73 - the battery gave up. So I frantically called Barbara - help! Battery dead, come get me, they'll be there in a few minutes!
I emailed them that I was on my way, what had happened.
I was only about 20 minutes late - I expect a couple of tickets in the mail next week with Barbara's picture on them, though.
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2015 at 5:28pm
I used flakes just for adding a little traction. I can be slippery when wet. I didn't get carried away and I've dropped many things and could find them. Just get rid of the clutter and stuff is much easier to find. Big smile
SC
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2015 at 7:08am
Originally posted by S Curry S Curry wrote:

I used flakes just for adding a little traction. I can be slippery when wet. I didn't get carried away and I've dropped many things and could find them. Just get rid of the clutter and stuff is much easier to find. Big smile

Shhh - don't tell my wife it's that easy! Geesh!

Traction won't be a problem apparently - they can make the final outcome as smooth or non-smooth as you want. I told them of the issues with the other garage and even this "painted " shop floor - a bit of water and you had better be an olympic ice skater or you'll be on your butt. They said no problem, they can make it unslick, but still easy to broom clean.
They also use a top-coat over the epoxy to protect the epoxy and make it less slickery.

Anyway, I think I've settled on a company and a process. I've done some comparing over the last little bit and while most of the stuff applied in garages, etc. and what you can buy as a consumer is vinyl flake or has this or that or the other thing, this utilizes a quartz/sand broadcast in one of the first layers and it makes it extremely resistant to dropping heavy things. Apparently this also adds to the strength of the concrete. They said I could drop something like a starter or alternator and it shouldn't chip the floor. (at which I gasped and said heck, I sure hope I don't drop something like that - I'd break something other than the floor if I did that! It's hard enough to find alternator frames/cases good enough to use without busting one!)
I found a couple of posts "out there" in other forums, one was some garagejournal forum or something like that where they were discussing the different materials - and the company that makes this material and process and they even said it's much harder/tougher and lasts longer than the epoxy with the vinyl chips because of the quartz broadcast into it.

The nice thing is that it ends up being not any more expensive than the process/materials used by one of the other places I looked into - absolutegarage.

The only thing that makes it a whole lot harder for me is that they want the WHOLE shop empty, every last square inch where the others would be willing to do it in 2 stages - do the west 1/2 to 2/3 and then I'd move stuff from the east over to the west and they'd do the east part. This place says no - do it all at one time, better results, they can save me money by doing it all at one time (trips with the trucks and equipment, etc.) and it will last better with no transitions between the two parts.

So, now I have to arrange to find some people to come over and help move the rest of the stuff out of my shop, every last bit of it, and find a place to store another car so that some of the stuff can go under the lean-to where the other cars are sitting out now.
I have run out of places to put cars BEFORE this, one had to sit out, now I'm really in a pinch. My wife is going to ask her sister if we can keep the 73 in her garage for a couple of weeks and I need to beg and plead and see if I can bribe some folks to come help move things out of the shop. I'll make it easier and move my car hauler into the shop and some stuff can go onto that and I'll just have to tarp it, other stuff can go around the corner into the lean-to where the 73 is now and i'll tarp that, too. (and hope we don't get storms and hope the mice don't get into things!)

Their 1200 pound grinder requires some heavy power, normally they would bring in a generator and that would cost but they said I had plenty of power to run what they need.
NO water in the shop/on the floor for 28 days prior to application - that's cutting it close as I did wash down parts of the floor 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. Fluids had dripped and run out of transmissions and transfer cases in spots so I used my oak sawdust and soaked up most of it, then use Simple Green to get the grease and oil up that was left.

They cut down into the floor a bit where the coating will end so that there's no edge, it would be level with the concrete that's bare.

They also agreed with a forum member here - I can't recall who it was that was very "animate" do not tie the new concrete that will be done outside to the shop floor like the contractor planned on doing. And they gave multiple reasons and explained - so although I can't recall which member here said "don't do it!" whoever that was, looks like they had good advice.

I've researched/investigated the company that would do the work as well as the materials themselves and neither have any complaints, both are BBB A+, etc. The outfit that would do the work has done some major projects, some high-end stuff.

Well, with all of this going on the money has run out so the outside concrete can't be done this year, neither can the garage roof. Those will just have to wait. I guess that's ok as this is about as much stress and activity as I can handle for 1 year anyway. The outside would mean the shop was inaccessible for another month with things all torn up. My wife informed me that with this floor being leveled and now this, there's nothing left so I have to call it done when the floor is refinished.

I wish I had some "mad money" to play around with - they said when I had the outside concrete done to contact them and they could put the AMC logo on the concrete - they can stain/dye the concrete and it was pretty much permanent. They also said that they could coat/seal the outside approach so that salt and other stuff wouldn't cause the galling and pitting and pock marks. (the driveway in front of the garage looks like the surface of the moon full of pits and craters from the winter salts, nearly impossible to sweep and keep it clean)

BTW - my wife pointed to this one and said "I like this one"............ who am I to argue? She's a quilter, after-all and works with colors and patterns all day every day.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2015 at 2:14pm
Got the word on the floor - it's set up for roughly 2 weeks from now. the color will be C13
It's a quartz broadcast - or is it a broadcast quartz, whatever, a whole lot tougher and harder and more resistant to chipping, denting, etc. than any epoxy.
It's not a DIY floor.
The floor will be ground, leveled, the joints cleaned and filled/fixed, etc. so the floor is clean and level and has the correct finish type for the primer layer they put down.
It will be tricky working around my stairs, and they said leave the compressor, they'd finish up to that since it's under the stairs and the floor not seen anyway, sort of like the floor in a closet, no big reason to give that the best finish.

I'm still trying to figure out where to put the 73 and all the other stuff during this next 2 or 3 weeks but a lot will be moved out to the lean-to and covered with tarps.
The car, not sure. Anyone got a spare garage within a few minutes of me?

What this means is that if I think things are down now and that I can't get to squat - wait until the next few days when it ALL, every single big and little piece and part, all tools, EVERYTHING has to move out and be stored/covered.
I may have to take up watching TV or something fun like that.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2015 at 10:56pm
My concern with that color is how dark will it make it inside the garage. I would think C15 would make it a little brighter in there.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2015 at 11:23pm
It's deceiving on the screen - especially since that's a screen capture of a PDF file, and even printing the file made it look different than what the computer screens do. It appears different on each computer I use to view it, and different from the paper print-out. 

After hanging one of the new lights tonight, 1 of 6 which will replace the 4 MH lights, I have a funny feeling light won't be too much of a problem. It takes quite a little time on 4 of them as I have to pull the MH lights down, not simple for 1 person at the top of a ladder stood up in the back of my truck, then I have to pull the box off the ceiling as it's special just for those lights, mount new boxes, and do it all with the lights off as the wiring for all lights runs through all ceiling boxes - and each has 2 conduits entering/leaving them so it's a chore. Turn power off, disconnect the wires that run through the light boxes to the other outlets and lights, pull the MH light ceiling boxes down after disconnecting the rigid conduits going into 2 sides of the box, mount new boxes, etc. 
It has taken 2 evenings just to do 1 light. But that 1 light lit the whole corner of the shop with nice bright white light. And there's 5 more to go. 

The most important areas will be the work benches and the cars I'm working on at any given time. the white walls reflect the light around nicely. 

Supposedly the floor is slated for the 30th unless they get freed up sooner. It will take about 3 days or so they said. So I need to keep moving on the lights, and maybe have a party to get some help moving the rest of the stuff out before that date! 

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2015 at 9:41pm
Party??? Count me in.......hehehehehe
Ollie
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2015 at 8:28am
I have only TODAY and part of Sunday to TOTALLY empty the shop now. 
Anyone who wishes to come help I'll furnish food and drink.
They called and are ahead of schedule, they want to start Tuesday instead of Wednesday. 
I have multiple doctor appointments Monday and Tuesday, that means all of the other parts, equipment, tools, air compressor (big one), etc. must go - MUST be out today or Sunday AM
Sunday afternoon is the b'day party for my Dad, who will be 83 and he really needs the company since Mom died the end of August - he's alone and bored save for his few hobbies and walking - which he usually did with Mom and you know what that means for him now.

Anyway, I'm heading out to the shop - anyone who can make it and help is welcome and will have food/drink, etc. and get to see a lot of junk. haha.
Green AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2015 at 10:35am
If I were closer Id be there 
69 AMX 390 4speed go pack
72 Javelin 360 auto(sons)
82 Spirit (wife's 1st car)still not done
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic