TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

floor finishes, garage/shop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2015 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Ah,  yes color output is sometimes difficult to get equalized with LED setups.  Depending on when the batch was created or a new setup from another maker. 

I wish I would have bought 50 bags more of the specialty white LEDs when I had a chance.  At time a Chinese distributor had them from seconds or close outs on end of life products left undisclosed. They turned out to be white when you push them to max voltage.  Unfortunately they do not inform you what voltage they run at to produce white light. I kept upping the voltage and found 3.6v to be the voltage needed.  I think they were for 2x AA battery driven mini torches.  I did a post long ago about using them in my turn signal housings.  Unfortunately the lens is directional and requires a diffuser,  which I did get when I ordered them. 

It seems your LED lighting needs a wee tweaking in power to drive them to proper color and brightness. 

Donno,  if you thought about hot and cold mixed lighting or a few grow lamps for color accuracy,  though you probably don't need it as you work with the same materials to know unless you change paint products or plating companies.

Had one issue, when temping for a company doing board level repair work with SMT components.  They had a weak bulb in my stereoscope. I did not realize it as everyone else was provided digital cam and monitor.  After a month my eyes got beat.  Out of the blue the area cleaner had bumped my scope and jostled it enough to drop the bulb.  When replaced,  it was like night and day.  Not just brighter,  but true white. 

WTH is that all about? HUH? 
You go ahead and tweak if you wish, i'm working with a professional on the final product, no tweaking here. Name brand made in USA industrial lighting, not a bag of 50 cheapies from a catalog. 
Besides, you run the same color LED as the lens if it's a car application, Red LED for tail/turn, amber/yellow for the fronts, etc.
What the heck has that got to do with 5,000K lights, the CRI and so on for shop lights, though??
Good grief, I don't need to think about color mixing at all, the higher you go to some extent with good quality LED on the kelvin scale, the more accurately colors appear to the human eye. 
I know about the light types, colors/temperatures, etc. That's one thing that was discussed - accurate color matches when painting or matching paint on cars. The design engineer was a car person himself with similar lights in his own shop......... Besides, how can you mix shop lights, they are ARRAYS, not individual 4 centimeter LEDS I'm going to solder onto a board. You'd have blue over here, yellow over there, white over there........ you can't mix colors like that unless you are creating work zones where you do various tasks in different places. 
Waaay off and out there again. 

(And here I am the one with severe ADD and a crazy week going on......but I've got it together and on topic and on target.)
Back to the floor and floor color and epoxy or coating type. 
I have my light situation pretty well settled thanks to my research I've spent weeks on, and working with a true professional from 3E. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2015 at 5:57am
Billd,  only you or the peeps who know your shop can really understand your work area or shop layout.  Yes,  this can be a maddening topic gone out of control,  if we go anything beyond a floor coating.  Just seeing you be concerned about everything you can throw at a floor.  Through deduction of flooring limitations, we got off the track in protection of your highly prized coated floor.  I am sure there is heavy duty materials,  but with anything, the limits  to how durable a coating is, will never be superman in taking care of one's needs. 

It seems like a lot to ask for when you have a simple question. Nonslip, fire retardant, chemical resistant,  and durable with outstanding bond to cement. I we can all guess away at percentages being what will be a primary concern.  But in real world performance you will need to shift what you like for personal  benefit to work area durability. So you may find no perfect floor covering and my have to compromise in some degree.

To me liquid carbon or Kevlar would be perfect,  but that is an impossibility. Sorry if I seem not to grasp your thoughts,  just I was not thinking my ideas were to be taken as a full head on process.  A small work area mat or removable surface to work on may safe you from having a durable floor be damaged by the lack of versatility with flame or chemicals.. It can be considered a special purpose tool,  like an add-on to a welder or a tub to a solvent tank.  Plus it can be used anywhere, without having to worry about replacement or placement to your work area. 

I could have said toss chemical resist all over the work areas floor as protection from slipping on oil, water, synthetics,  coolest...  Etc,  but again we all have our own ways of maintaining a work environment. And I would emagine you saying,  "if I wanted a barn,  I would have sawdust floors and be done with it."  

I know you are focused on one thing to meet all your needs,  but only you know the demands you need covered.  You may find something that can only cover 80% of your needs.  What you will have to do is look at it at a different angle.  Finding a cost effective coating that is durable and non slip,  can be had...  Just you may have to be a bit flexible in how to care for it.

You have had a good deal of covering options given,  plus the pro you will hire will have his take on what you need.  Just weigh the floors limitations and how you need to work around it. 

Edited by 304-dude - Sep/04/2015 at 6:02am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2015 at 8:37am
Fire retardant isn't a concern on a concrete floor - I do try to avoid setting my floor on fire LOL  ;-)

My concern is normal SHOP work. Not so much storing cars, although tires lifting the product can be a concern for paints and the cheaper products. But keeping with the epoxies or other products that BOND to the concrete, and assuming the grinding and cleaning process is correct and thorough, hot tires lifting it should not be a concern, as confirmed by a member a while back in this thread.

I'm not concerned about tracking things in - that's more a function of what I do outside, and that's covered. REmember, the whole outside concrete will be ripped out, the ground shaped and graded more correctly, and dual, overlapping drains put in which will span the whole width of the approach. The entry door is under cover, on the east, under the lean-to. Weather isn't an issue. I can stand outside the door in all but the very worst storms and stay dry, and snow doesn't seem to collect right next to the door, but it does tend to drift across the approach - but I shovel a path, or get the lawn tractor and blade out...

An engine may be pulled anywhere, an engine may be rebuilt on a stand anywhere. Think of what might go on in a repair shop involving cars - any shop, any sort or type of work, it's likely I already do it or will do it.  Welding, bending, heating, exhaust work, painting, grinding, powder coating, solvent tank, bead blasting, other media blasting as I have two cabinets, complete restoration or refurbishing, press work, lifting entire cars off the floor, all sorts of jack stands, multiple floor jacks, plating, so there will be acids, caustic solutions, water from rinsing, dichromate solutions, zinc, nickle, copper, eventually chrome brush plating, electric work like soldering, turning armatures and alternator rotors, soon a lathe and mill so steel shavings and chips, heavy-duty steel shelving holding many hundreds of pounds of parts, transfer case work, 6 or 7 transfer cases and multiple transmissions and engine blocks on one set of shelves, I have a 401, 360, 343, 258 on stands in the shop, Small plastic wheels on car dollies, small metal - steel or cast wheels on tools and equipment and engine stands, large steel wheels on jacks, etc., jack stands that have metal bases that will be on the floor with quite a bit of pressure. I'd suspect the biggest concerns are the jacks and the jack wheels - lift a car and move it using a floor jack, bet you've done that, right? You have how many pounds on those small steel or cast wheels of the floor jack and you are turning it and pulling or pushing a car to move it...... The gantry crane has very large casters that have a sort of rubber on the wheel so they'd be fine even if I put oak hardwood flooring down. NO, don't go there please! LOL

Since all of these things will be in any parts of the shop at one time or another, I can't have bumps or transitions or edges. That's one reason I'm spending bucks to get the floor leveled and the thing evened out. Creepers, hoists, engine stands can't move easily from here to there. Any mats, pads or different coatings that have different thicknesses sort of thwart any thought of having a floor where one could hold creeper races. I want to be able to roll a marble from one corner to another and not have it stopped by an uneven floor, except for the normal slopes for drainage, duh! but no bumps or tripping hazards!
I want to be able to sweep the whole thing and not have edges to catch on.

Here are some example photos, taken YEARS ago so there's a lot more STUFF in there now, but just for example - and hopefully these may help???

Slightly different topic, but this is the outside that has gone REALLY REALLY bad, shifted, lifted, settled, etc
It's really hard to tell but the area that is the lower left in the photo is an extreme drop or slope, and water cuts DEEEEEEEP ruts into that and has washed so much gravel and dirt down that the section of concrete in the lower left is mostly covered now - because the guy was an idiot and didn't put drains in like I wanted. NEW will have two long drains with steel grates - one that goes across and to the right, another slightly south that goes just part way from the right then all the way left and drains out under the little drive area to the left or east in this photo. So draining will be finally solved, TWO large long drains with grates that will support a heavy truck.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2015 at 10:44am
Fire retardant...  Should have stated it as weld proof,  as good hot drips and spatters will lift or pock your coating. 

Well I can see you have everything a mix of sorts,  and yes them steel wheels on  hydrollic Jacks can bite on textured coatings. Slowly eat away and chip at it. 

As for Jack stands with L shaped legs,  welding skids at the corners,  will keep any digging in and  gouging. 

I guess I am one to think about the welding issues more than anything else,  as it all depends on how much is done in one area,  or after time.  Though,  once the floor has been covered,  I guess touch up work on burnt eras can be done. 

Caustic chemicals and solvents,  I would prefer to do outside, and would think of having a roll away system,  if so inclined. 

Again, we all do things shop wise different,  and what seems simple and easy,  may just add clutter or be more than what is needed. 

I admit I over think some things for the unexpected,  as it is always the unexpected that makes me feel I should have done this or that before hand. 

So,  I may annoy the bajeezus out of you with ideas as I have seen so many ways of having a shop,  and gathered why some are done one way over another.  Like chemicals have a drainage area as not to pool. Some have steel grates so nothing pools under feet, and so on.  

Having your work erea being any random spot,  with just about any means,  makes a lot of thought into how to address not only coating but care and maintaining. 

I talked to our new neighbor, who had professionally installed textured epoxy coating done to his two car garage.  It was done over a month ago with a 15 year old cement floor. It took a through cleaning and grinding,  as our garages cement is smooth textured.  Then after 2 days of drying the pouring and laying out the coating and texture. He does not do heavy work just likes a clean garage. It looks to be very durable and a light grey look. 

All I can say is a weeks time must be given from beginning to end.  So not only proper prep must be done with old cement but proper curing before any thing is done on the floor. 

So I guess the steel grates for drainage was already thought of...  Though I may have made it sound like it had to be used as a loading ramp.  I always think of more than the obvious... Drainage was a hidden feature of a loading ramp,  nobody wants pools around their shop. 

Edited by 304-dude - Sep/04/2015 at 10:53am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2015 at 12:00pm
LOL  - I guess you don't understand plating......... it's got to be in a set place. The caustic chemicals, acids, rinses, etc. are't exactly something to be moving around plus you have multiple tanks, and power supplies, etc. It's not like portable welding. You setup and stay there for the most part, if you move you move it ALL. 

I know about all of these situations, I'm still simply looking for the best coating for the whole floor, not concerned about all that other - which I consider trivial and for 5 decades have worked out as needed.
Drainage is covered, but my shop sits HIGH. That's worked out with a professional. 
I know how to deal with the other stuff and will as it comes up, so I don't really need tips on jack stands and so on at this point.
I want to concentrate ONLY on a floor coating - the product, strengths and weaknesses with the criteria I have already gone through multiple times, and will survive the work I do, even if it means some minor changes or mods, which I will handle.

So please - restrict to the coating itself, brand, company, COLOR, strengths and weaknesses.
Nothing else, nothing about entries, drainage, tips on moving things out, etc.
Otherwise I may have to start over with a clean thread asking to restrict to the coatings only, colors only. And only from those knowledgeable on the concrete coatings as this thread started out in the first 2 pages. 

This is so far off course now no one else will chime in with comments on epoxies, colors, finishes or brands. 

Please, no more about anything other than the floor coating, or the color of the coating. 
I can and will deal with the tools and how I use them. 
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2015 at 3:18pm
I used a Rust-oleum Epoxy Shield kit on the shop area floor in my shop. I bought it from Menards. I also put the chips in the paint and coated it with a gloss coat sealer from the same manufacturer. It so far has been very durable, I have rolled engine stands over it, dropped tools without any chipping. So far I am happy with how it turned out, it has been in place over a year without any problems. Here is a couple of pics of the work area.

1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2015 at 10:57pm
Welder, solvent tank, engine stand, rolling seat, tool box, shelving/benches, everything except a refrigerator. i'd say you have a "do it all here" shop. 
It's very encouraging to see real-life examples of even the non-professionally installed products holding up. Gives me some hope. 

The company that does concrete leveling was out today and spent a bunch of time on the front sidewalk, just minutes on the driveway in front of the garage, then somewhere around an hour and a half on the shop floor. Actually the shop floor went better than the front sidewalk!
Yeah, as expected raising the outer part that dropped an inch didn't make the inner part that lifted go back to where it was, but we were all pleased to see that it DID drop an appreciable amount. Grinding the concrete there should handily make that floor more like it was when new - with no trip hazards. I suspect only 1/8" grind, the filling the joints, would make it so things could roll easily. 
Since they got the floor lifted as planned I can now move forward with the other plans - finishing the floor surface (grinding/leveling through grinding the high spots off, filling joints, prepping and apply epoxy or similar product, and ripping out and replacing all exterior concrete. 
That means I have to get busy and talk to more floor finishers and choose a company and product, and then a time.
Until that is done - until the floor is either finished, or we decide that i've already shot the budget for this year and next and skip the floor finishing and simply move stuff back onto the floor as it is, which is almost looking more likely now since so many things are costing so very much, my shop is down, unusable, can't get to anything, can't use major tools, etc.
So it's decision time, decide on product and company and see if we can afford it after the leveling and light purchases today and move forward, I hope, from there. 
Otherwise I have no shop for however long and that is causing me real stress and withdrawal. 
But the concrete lifting/leveling went well and that is a relief at least. 

S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2015 at 10:00am
I used the Rustoleum epoxy kit. Well two of them. Got at Menards. Concrete was 6 mo. old. Acid etch and all the prep done as recommended. Still there after 9 yrs and going strong. I clean once a week with a bucket of water  some Mr Clean and a squeegee. Jack stands, gas and oil spills, engine stand, floor jack doesn't seem to bother it. You do have one of those " Absolute Garage Stores" in DSM area. Check it out. 
SC
rons View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2015 at 2:43pm
What can someone expect to pay for polishing? Let's say in a two  car garage floor? I have never seen this process.
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2015 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

I think Rich is pulling my leg - I think he just dreams about working on his floor occasionally. I mean, really? That is the floor of a car dealership new car display, not the floor of a shop that gets worked in. 
Seriously, guys, do NOT, I mean NOT let Barbara see the photos of his shop. I'd never hear the end of it - "how come your shop looks like @#$% and his looks so nice without a lot of junk laying around and everything picked up and put away. 

Come on Rich, tell me the truth - that's a photo out of a flooring magazine ad, right? That's not really a shop that gets worked in is it? 
Well you alluded to another thing that totally PO'd me about the guy that did my concrete, the lazy @##, he refused to put down vapor barrier. I mean REFUSED saying it would be so full of holes after his crew walked on it doing the concrete it would be worthless so he couldn't see wasting the time to put it down. I wish I had been there and had been firm - do it my way or leave, but he was supposed to be this great expert highly recommended, been doing it for decades, did concrete for the local college and all that. I suspect he did sidewalks and got lucky. I suspect my shop was the first job over 200 sq ft he'd ever done. 
Every single other thing I've had done, ever, any concrete for inside a building has had a vapor barrier and he convinced me that it wasn't worth the time or money and it was never really needed. 
I see the difference between my shop floor and the floor in the garage addition - which was done over 15 years ago, the minute hairline cracks have not moved in a decade, the concrete is still perfectly level, and still attached firmly to the main garage slab, has not shifted or anything bad. 

Anyway, the one outfit I talked to said there were two prices, once was $1/sq ft to remove the old finish  - grind it off and that would also prep the floor. The other price was $4.50 for putting the epoxy coating on. That's $5.50/sq ft start to finish unless they need to grind down any high spots due to the shifting or leveling, then that's an extra $100+, depending on severity, etc.
Another outfit said a flat $5.00/sq ft, prep and all.
With $1/sq ft to remove the existing finish and grind the floor that's about $1050 for just the grinding and prep. 
OUCH. Really?

I'm confused by this as I'd expect it to be the OPPOSITE - 
>>They metal shot blasted the entire floor, and ground the concrete where it was not accessible by shot.<<

Uh, wouldn't the shot be able to get where grinding could not reach, back into corners, while grinding would be better for the bulk of the floor but grinding be unable to reach under, around, behind, in corners, etc. - 
Seriously, some parts I prep I use sanding for the flat and accessible areas, then blast what I can't sand because I can't reach it, but blasting can reach anything.........
Imagine all that shot all over the place......

Yeah, Dave - polishing concrete makes me nervous - ohhh! Pretty! Shiny! oooohh.. but oh so slick when damp or wet. And our springs, heck, RIGHT NOW the temps and humidity are so weird that if I open the shop doors the floor is WET quickly, it would be a 1050 sq ft skating rink - no skates needed! 
I know it would look cool, but not be practical to walk on when it was even just wet, or if you came in with WET shoes, you'd see shoe marks 6 feet across the floor from people falling on their butts.  
Or is polished concrete not slick at all?????Confused

I do work on that floor, but will admit it's probably no where near as much as you do.

I wish I had the real estate to have a larger garage. I did the best I could under the current restraints the town affords us. My 3 car garage has to do a lot. It houses 4 vehicles (two of which are driven daily) and serves as a shop too.

That's a lot to ask of 720 sq ft.

When we added onto the house back in 2000, I did put a small addition onto the basement, which is actually kind of separate (attached but divided). That's where we store the bicycles, lawn mower,s now blower etc.. My reasoning was to keep that stuff out of the garage to dedicate it more for the cars only.

Rich C.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic