TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

FlexFuel Conversions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2018 at 8:14am
You will not save money with flex fuel.The cost per gallon is less but it takes more fuel to go the same distance and your mpg will be down.If you want to save money on fuel then convert to propane.With propane you pay no road tax. I ran a American Motors street car on E85 and switched back to gas real quick.The problem around here is if you buy E85 fuel with you antique car or a gas can the store qwner comes running out yelling at you that you can not buy the fuel and you will ruin your car and don't come back here again etc.Gets real old fast.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2018 at 8:47am
Well, they are trying to be helpful... I would think if you go to the same store all the time they'd figure out you knew what you were doing! A friend's teen daughter once put diesel fuel in her car, my brother helped him drain the tank and clean the fuel system. How? She was used to going to a BP station close to home and always used the green nozzle... which is usually diesel anywhere else!!
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2018 at 12:26pm
Billd. Kerosene is also called coal oil. And kerosene is not cheaper to buy anymore. Last time I bought some it was 9 dollars a gallon.
Raising the compression is a good way for more power. But if you run alcohol, fuel mileage is lower. I looked into propane. In my state, it gets taxed, and you have to pay it every year. And the tank cannot be in the passenger compartment. And the cost of adapting it also killed it for me
nothingface5384 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothingface5384 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 12:55pm
I wouldn't bother to switch between both fuels, nor would I bother with E85 unless it's either a low compression turbo or high compression 12+CR N/A engine.
Flex fuel proaganda is smoke up the rump..
Flex fuel has Max compression for gas..not enough compression to take advantage of e85 slow BTU burning..so you loose performance and gas mileage

With that said quikfuel has an e85 carb as does a couple others I believe

Aeromotive makes an E85 fuel pump

Aftermarket efi works with e85

Edited by nothingface5384 - Feb/04/2018 at 8:49am
1972 Pro-Toured Buick Skylark Twin turbo efi 355 v8

1973 Pro-Toured Ford Maverick 302 v8

1975 Stock AMC Hornet 232 I6

1978 Stock Plymouth Volare 225 /6
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2018 at 2:31pm
The AMC 6 is the most reasonable candidate for conversion but I would rather focus on LPG. I went with MPFI from a Jeep 4.0L just to ditch the carb and paired with a 5spd, this is going to be more about fun than efficiency but I end up with both.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic