TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Flex Plate ID

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by raysinvegas raysinvegas wrote:

Originally posted by carnuck carnuck wrote:

Not hard to get a 343 or other plate rebalanced for the 290 though. About $80 here.

Yes, but I really don't want to dismantle a freshly rebuilt engine to do so.

If you have a different flywheel (or flexplate) with the correct balance, it can be matched on the new flywheel without taking the motor apart.
Radical Rick View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radical Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2015 at 12:04am
kind of old posting but I need a 343 flexplate just bought 67 Marlin also need some front coil springs HELP! This is awesome car no rust!!!    
Radical Rick View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radical Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2015 at 5:45am
anyone have a 318 1750 flexplate? 343 1967 engine
md1970jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md1970jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2016 at 1:29pm
HELP !!!! I have a 1970 Mark Donahue Javelin , my flex plate has damage to ring gear. Motor is torn down ii can't find a flex plate to take and balance with crank. I have a BW m11B for a tranny does anybody have one or know where I can get one. The whole build is waiting for the flex plate. Any help would be appreciated.. Thx Bob
syracing View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2017 at 12:18pm
I was sick of breaking the mustache TH400 flexplates on my 360 and couldn't find anything aftermarket for a good price handy. I have a manual valve body TH400 and 42" tires and the stocker just wasn't up for the task.

I used a Pioneer FRA-118 which is a 727 flexplate and I redrilled it for a TH400 converter. I had to use .125 spacers to space out the pads. Stock starter works without issue.

Good solution for those looking for an upgraded TH400 plate on the cheap!
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 5:15pm
Guys, what is this plate? I just pulled it off my 1970 304 and gave it a good buzz with the air grinder. Isn't the 304 externally balanced, as in the flywheel/flexplate needs some sort of counterweight? This is the one thing sitting between my giganto converter and FMX. It has a code on the engine side: 8673(S). It's another 164-tooth plate and when I punch that number into Google it brings me to this thread but I don't see it listed.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

Guys, what is this plate? I just pulled it off my 1970 304 and gave it a good buzz with the air grinder. Isn't the 304 externally balanced, as in the flywheel/flexplate needs some sort of counterweight? This is the one thing sitting between my giganto converter and FMX. It has a code on the engine side: 8673(S). It's another 164-tooth plate and when I punch that number into Google it brings me to this thread but I don't see it listed.

No weight tells me maybe a 290 flexplate.  Id like to see how you are going to make an FMX work on a 70 304.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 11:40pm
I really have no idea how it works either. Factory ALCOA 3180008 bell + a tall eared and double drilled Cruiseomatic/Flightomatic/Fordomatic/Mercomatic/Mile-o-matic case crammed with a mix of Cruiseo/FMX parts makes for interesting sport.

You just know somebody got me good. Is it likely to have a 290 flexplate behind a 304? Do I really have a 290? That would explain the super revvy fun behavior of this engine! Shocked Doesn't explain the massive POWER though. Something else is off.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2017 at 11:05am
Fairly old post, but I'd like to point out that the big holes on one side equal the equivalent amount of weight on the opposite side. Looks like the BW35 plate that was on the 290 of the Rebel 4 dr that was parted long ago.

I had an AW4 flexplate rebalanced for my 304 before I was poisoned by thieves. The early 304 (pre 72) as well as 360 and 401 had flat faced crankshafts for the BW automatics. '72+ had the raised center ring to align the flexplates on.

Edited by carnuck - Sep/09/2017 at 11:10am
vyscera View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vyscera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 10:23am
I found this thread, but the pics of the 1970 390 flexplates are no longer showing. Can someone repost one? i need to make sure I've got the right one fro my machine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic