TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

flathead cam in a 195.6 OHV?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2017 at 6:38am
On the turbo L-head... 90 hp stock. With a 100% efficient turbo you would theoretically get a 50% increase with 7.35 psi (half atmospheric pressure of 14.7 psi). That would be only 135 hp. With 8:1 compression you would be running the equivalent of 12:1 with 7 psi at sea level. Goes down to 11.6:1 at 1000 feet, and down from there. So you'd have to run race fuel all the time. Back down to 3.675 psi and you just get a theoretical 25% increase, or 22.5 more ponies (112.5 hp total)...  which brings compression back down to 10:1 at sea level, which is manageable with premium fuel (9.8:1 at 1000 feet). I'd plan on sea level, and add 20-25% boost for losses, then use an adjustable waste gate, so run 4-5 psi, but would only gain 22-25 hp... I'm confident the crank and rods would take it easily. In fact, our 196 OHVs have the same crank and are churning out around 170 hp .. well, the last one I had... but taking the power isn't an issue. It would probably take 8 psi or so, but I'm not so sure the head will seal well at 12:1 equivalent compression. Wouldn't bat an eye at 10:1 though.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic