TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fitting a ford independent rear suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebidia24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting a ford independent rear suspension
    Posted: Jul/11/2019 at 3:26pm
I did a quick search but didn't find anything concrete.  If this topic already exists, could somebody point me in the right direction.  Anyway, I was curious as to whether anyone has fit a Ford (or any other for that matter) independent rear suspension to a late model AMC?  
1981 Eagle SX-4 258
1979 Spirit Kammback 122
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2019 at 7:07am
I have a late 80s Jag IRS in my 63 Classic. There is an extensive post on that in Member Projects. The 61-89 Jag IRS with "cage" was designed to replace a live axle. This makes it very easy to adapt. I did it the hard way at first, as that's how most hot riders mount them. Using the cage and stock rubber mounts is so much easier!! An early Corvette IRS would be second easiest to install. Late model types, like the 90s Mustang, are more integrated into the body. I haven't looked much at the Explorer or Expedition models. Being frame mounted they may be easier to swap.

Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic